(Don't) Come And Dance With Me, Michael
Most people who know me well, are all too aware that I’m a big fan of The Age Online. Our household has always read The Age, rather than its rival tabloid, for as long as I can remember. Most people who know me well, are also painfully aware that I have a big problem with Michael Dwyer. I’ll be the first to acknowledge (in the same way that say, any scientist with scruples would acknowledge a conflict of interest) that this antipathy stems from reading a handful of reviews by the former, relating to some acts particularly dear to my heart.
I’m constantly baffled as to how Dwyer frequently gets to go to really good shows, gets to review really good new albums, and also gets to interview really good musicians. Yet to my mind, his writing style actually leaves a lot to be desired. If the purpose of a review, or an interview, is to give the reader an insight into the quality of a recording/performance or into the brain of the subject respectively, then Dwyer’s prose often fails to deliver. I sometimes think that he’s too busy trying to create a word-perfect essay with flowery language and clever metaphors, rather than attempting to inform anyone. I’m often left wondering what he actually means (quite literally). For instance, after reading (and re-reading) his recent review of Bic Runga’s album Birds, I still couldn’t tell whether he liked it or not. And Radiohead’s 2004 Melbourne show? Dunno about that one either.
Funnily enough though, among all the articles I’ve read by Dwyer, the one musician that he manages to capture the essence of is Paul Kelly. And this is quite a feat, given Kelly’s reticence. I can’t help but get the feeling that Dwyer himself is a big fan (and hey so am I, hence my curiosity). If only he could be bothered with the same eye for detail when handling others.
And by the way, a big thanks to Serenity Now for the much appreciated comment – if it wasn’t for that, this little piece would have stayed shelved in its “Posts In Progress” folder and never been blasted into cyberspace like the proverbial cannon.
I’m constantly baffled as to how Dwyer frequently gets to go to really good shows, gets to review really good new albums, and also gets to interview really good musicians. Yet to my mind, his writing style actually leaves a lot to be desired. If the purpose of a review, or an interview, is to give the reader an insight into the quality of a recording/performance or into the brain of the subject respectively, then Dwyer’s prose often fails to deliver. I sometimes think that he’s too busy trying to create a word-perfect essay with flowery language and clever metaphors, rather than attempting to inform anyone. I’m often left wondering what he actually means (quite literally). For instance, after reading (and re-reading) his recent review of Bic Runga’s album Birds, I still couldn’t tell whether he liked it or not. And Radiohead’s 2004 Melbourne show? Dunno about that one either.
Funnily enough though, among all the articles I’ve read by Dwyer, the one musician that he manages to capture the essence of is Paul Kelly. And this is quite a feat, given Kelly’s reticence. I can’t help but get the feeling that Dwyer himself is a big fan (and hey so am I, hence my curiosity). If only he could be bothered with the same eye for detail when handling others.
And by the way, a big thanks to Serenity Now for the much appreciated comment – if it wasn’t for that, this little piece would have stayed shelved in its “Posts In Progress” folder and never been blasted into cyberspace like the proverbial cannon.
3 Comments:
hmmm... Dwyer must have a manila folder of evidence that has kept him employed as a reviewer in the Age for so long.
You should consider sending in your own reviews as freelancing projects with all those amazing pix included, you can take over his charge and deservedly so!
Just what i was going to say, melle mel! vernoona, you *must* send in your reviews and pics. In fact start putting the pics up (watermark them as a precaution) aswell. If Boudist is anything to go by it can help you build your portfolio. Freelancing here were come! Try The Age and also specialist music publications, even if it's jsut bma.
yeah! you raise some very excellent points about why the dwyer is so wrong for music journalism and you do so in your own nicely written, informative and engaging piece. you need to showcase this talent. don't know much about it myself but maybe the free street press would be a way to start?
Post a Comment
<< Home