Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Saturday, April 29, 2006

"If You're Paying Peanuts...

… you get monkeys/Better save that silly money for the junket."
Powderfinger, Odyssey #5 from the album Odyssey Number Five, 2000


That line popped out of the dark recesses of my memory when I was reading an article all about the workplace and the author posed the question, “Do you ever feel like you’re working with a bunch of monkeys?” This article also jogged my memory about an item I heard on the radio last Sunday. The item was an interview with a photographer who’s just finished off a project based on people’s workplace fantasies. It got me thinking about the sort of stuff I would change in my own workplace, which in recent weeks has undergone a seismic shift. It’s a change that’s been a long time coming and has involved a very long and protracted prelude. I’ve come to realise over the last year or so, that even though there are some things that are out of your control, you can’t help but still feel really bad and hurt by those things. No matter how long ago they took place.

It’s funny how we sit around wishing that things in our lives were different, yet when we’re actually given the chance to change those things, we often don’t take up the opportunity. Or is that just me? Better stick with what we dislike but what we’re familiar with, rather than take a punt on the unknown, right? I think that’s what it is.

And my own workplace fantasy? That it's not just the squeaky wheels getting the grease.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home