Amoebicorn
I just spent the third consecutive Tuesday evening - along with all those other tightarses - at another comedy festival show. I'd heard a lot of good stuff about Demitri Martin, but in truth I had absolutely no idea what to expect from his show. As one great singer-songwriter once said, "We wanted to put the intelligence back into rock." It would be pretty accurate to say that Demitri Martin has done the equivalent for comedy.
In contrast to other people I've seen in the past, Martin is softly-spoken, considered and surprisingly revealing. It's the only comedy show I've ever been to that's actually made me think. It actually left me feeling quite reflective - both during the show and afterwards, standing outside Melbourne Town Hall in the wet, gloomy night. Watching Demitri Martin is compelling, because he seems like someone who's at odds with the sort of person he actually is, and the person he'd like to be, yet after giving it more thought, doesn't really want that anyway. His self-awareness is refreshing, but doesn't cross over into self-absorption. And I wish my own neurosis could be as endearing as I found his to be.
The show itself is very structured with seemingly little improvisation (?). I initially found this structure unusual, but Martin knows how to tell a good tale and his "props" certainly add to the act rather than distracting from it. The premise of discussing his "disorder" (and the brilliant brain nook, which I'd love to have myself) is very appropriate given the sort of guy he projects himself to be. It's also nice to go to a show which in many ways, is quite philosophical and doesn't dwell on world affairs.
In short, unlike his red Michael Jackson "Beat It" jacket, Demitri Martin's show really works.
In contrast to other people I've seen in the past, Martin is softly-spoken, considered and surprisingly revealing. It's the only comedy show I've ever been to that's actually made me think. It actually left me feeling quite reflective - both during the show and afterwards, standing outside Melbourne Town Hall in the wet, gloomy night. Watching Demitri Martin is compelling, because he seems like someone who's at odds with the sort of person he actually is, and the person he'd like to be, yet after giving it more thought, doesn't really want that anyway. His self-awareness is refreshing, but doesn't cross over into self-absorption. And I wish my own neurosis could be as endearing as I found his to be.
The show itself is very structured with seemingly little improvisation (?). I initially found this structure unusual, but Martin knows how to tell a good tale and his "props" certainly add to the act rather than distracting from it. The premise of discussing his "disorder" (and the brilliant brain nook, which I'd love to have myself) is very appropriate given the sort of guy he projects himself to be. It's also nice to go to a show which in many ways, is quite philosophical and doesn't dwell on world affairs.
In short, unlike his red Michael Jackson "Beat It" jacket, Demitri Martin's show really works.
5 Comments:
O Yossarian,
You articulated perfectly what I struggled with to describe his show!
He truly is a contemporary philosopher!
Well Done! :)
Well said yossarian! It _is_ refreshing to have a comedian telling you his thoughts without shouting at you.
I especially love how Demetri mixes standup with art, music and rolling off stage. I'm sure most people in the audience have inhabited procrasti-nation at some point!
demetri is the quintessential renaissance man - is he comedian or musician or philosopher or mathematician?
wish my own brain nook had a creek of something running through it, i could use a river of ideas right about now...
once again another great write-up from yossarian!
ah yossarian, you just get better and better. wish i'd been there.
golly, thanks for checking out the blog and for all the encouragement. as you'll appreciate, demitri's a very difficult guy to try and encapsulate.
flygirl, you just have to see him. he is indeed a renaissance man with many fine attributes ;-)
Post a Comment
<< Home