Comfortable Food
I really like the fact that breakfast foods can be eaten at just about any time of day. I know that not everyone feels this way, but I’ve been known to walk into the house after a long day and make myself some porridge. Yeah I know, I know, there’s not really any actual “making” or “synthesising” or even "skill" involved in preparing porridge and I’m the first to admit that my culinary skills are somewhat limited. Nevertheless, this stuff is best enjoyed in a quiet kitchen (alternatively in front of the teev) at about 9.30pm in one’s flannel pyjamas and plush dragon/dinosaur (or other wildebeest) slippers. Like Pellegrini’s lasagne, porridge is the ultimate comfort food.
1/2 a deep bowl of soy milk (plain or flavoured)
1/2 a deep bowl of regular milk (Liddell’s is particularly nice – the advantage of lactose-free is that it’s a little sweeter)
oats (as much as you like - I like the Quaker brand)
1 dessert spoon of Weat Harts (wheatgerm, good for sprinkling onto things)
1. Pour the respective milks into a saucepan.
2. Add yer oats, mixing in the Weat Harts.
3. Stir gently on moderate heat, but don’t let the milk boil.
4. When warm enough for your liking, pour into bowl and consume.
You now also have an insight into my penchant for roughage (whether you like it or not!).
1/2 a deep bowl of soy milk (plain or flavoured)
1/2 a deep bowl of regular milk (Liddell’s is particularly nice – the advantage of lactose-free is that it’s a little sweeter)
oats (as much as you like - I like the Quaker brand)
1 dessert spoon of Weat Harts (wheatgerm, good for sprinkling onto things)
1. Pour the respective milks into a saucepan.
2. Add yer oats, mixing in the Weat Harts.
3. Stir gently on moderate heat, but don’t let the milk boil.
4. When warm enough for your liking, pour into bowl and consume.
You now also have an insight into my penchant for roughage (whether you like it or not!).
5 Comments:
noiiice! i'm addicted to having it with brown sugar that kind of turns syrupy. the best i've ever had was a at a camp ten years ago. The Aunties - parentals were doing the cooking - had made breakfast and I was handed a large bowl of porridge. I gazed at it dismay. And I tasted it...kaluds, it was manna from heaven! Sweet, rich, creamy, strongly flavoured with the great Northie trifecta of spices - cardamom, a hint of clove and cinnamon - raisins and currants. It converted me totally. I've been trying to replicate it ever since but can never manage to get it right.
oh wow, that sounds deee-licious! raisins AND cinnamon too!?
i'm definitely going to try adding these goodies next time i whip up a bowl of porridge ... even if it doesn't end up quite right, at least it'll be an enjoyable process trying!!
... mmmm, just like your italian hot chocolate, this is great wintery fare ;-)
... and blueberries AND strawberries too?!
yummo! i can't wait to try all these variations - thanks gals for the suggestions!
mmm.... porridge is indeed the comfort food. I think I'm a pretty late convert though and have mixed many a combination in the hope of creating the ultimate porridge- berries, granny smiths, bananas and cranberries are definitely my tops!
Well done Yossarian!
have i told you about bircher museli?
Post a Comment
<< Home