Doubt@Playhouse, May 6 2006
I love Melbourne’s arts precinct. All the way from our cold and austere Hamer Hall (aah, but those acoustics!) to the plush red seats and gleaming handrails of the State Theatre. I know that if I ever live away from this brilliant city, it’s places like this and the outings they give rise to that I’m really going to miss. Back in February on the way to work, I heard the New York-based playwright John Shanley being interviewed about his latest body of work – Doubt. I made a mental note to check it out and that’s what I did yesterday.
Doubt is set in a New York catholic school in 1964. The hard-nosed, conservative and crusty principal, Sister Aloycius (Jennifer Flowers) suspects the enthusiastic and popular teacher, Father Flynn (Christopher Gabardi) of sexually abusing one of the students. She enlists the help of the impressionable and somewhat naïve Sister James (Alison Bell) to keep a watchful eye on the young priest. What ensues is a very painful period for the three main characters for all sorts of reasons.
From the opening scene, where Father Flynn stands on a podium in front of the stage, delivering a passionate sermon about (funnily enough) doubt and faith, the audience is toyed with. In every scene we see another side to each character, which in turn, makes the audience switch allegiances over and over again. The young, idealistic and soft-hearted Sister James is someone we can easily sympathise with – she wants to see the best in everyone and is an eager and ardent teacher who genuinely cares about the welfare of her students. During the course of the play, it’s easy to see the emotional toll this affair has on her. Sister Aloycius on the other hand, remains emotionally detached and is determined to bring down the young priest, who in her eyes and despite the absence of hard proof, is guilty as sin. One thing I never realised was just how limited nuns were in the running of church affairs at this time in history. The frustration at the limitations of what she can actually do in this awkward situation, is well conveyed by Flowers, who is brilliant as the jaded principal with the dry sense of humour – she certainly does get all the best lines.
Although we never see the alleged victim, we do get to meet his mother, Mrs Muller (Pamela Jikiemi). It’s a prickly encounter between her and the principal and it’s really interesting to hear her thoughts on the accusations and how they should be dealt with. Without giving anything away, I’d love to know how her attitudes would be viewed in this day and age, considering what could possibly be happening to her son. I read another review on Doubt where the author described Father Flynn as being arrogant and cocky. Then again, I guess one’s view of him would be coloured somewhat by whether you think he’s guilty or not. As for me? As the seemingly unshakeable Sister Aloycius reveals at the end of the play, “I still have doubts."
Doubt is set in a New York catholic school in 1964. The hard-nosed, conservative and crusty principal, Sister Aloycius (Jennifer Flowers) suspects the enthusiastic and popular teacher, Father Flynn (Christopher Gabardi) of sexually abusing one of the students. She enlists the help of the impressionable and somewhat naïve Sister James (Alison Bell) to keep a watchful eye on the young priest. What ensues is a very painful period for the three main characters for all sorts of reasons.
From the opening scene, where Father Flynn stands on a podium in front of the stage, delivering a passionate sermon about (funnily enough) doubt and faith, the audience is toyed with. In every scene we see another side to each character, which in turn, makes the audience switch allegiances over and over again. The young, idealistic and soft-hearted Sister James is someone we can easily sympathise with – she wants to see the best in everyone and is an eager and ardent teacher who genuinely cares about the welfare of her students. During the course of the play, it’s easy to see the emotional toll this affair has on her. Sister Aloycius on the other hand, remains emotionally detached and is determined to bring down the young priest, who in her eyes and despite the absence of hard proof, is guilty as sin. One thing I never realised was just how limited nuns were in the running of church affairs at this time in history. The frustration at the limitations of what she can actually do in this awkward situation, is well conveyed by Flowers, who is brilliant as the jaded principal with the dry sense of humour – she certainly does get all the best lines.Although we never see the alleged victim, we do get to meet his mother, Mrs Muller (Pamela Jikiemi). It’s a prickly encounter between her and the principal and it’s really interesting to hear her thoughts on the accusations and how they should be dealt with. Without giving anything away, I’d love to know how her attitudes would be viewed in this day and age, considering what could possibly be happening to her son. I read another review on Doubt where the author described Father Flynn as being arrogant and cocky. Then again, I guess one’s view of him would be coloured somewhat by whether you think he’s guilty or not. As for me? As the seemingly unshakeable Sister Aloycius reveals at the end of the play, “I still have doubts."
2 Comments:
yet another great review! i'm really keen to see this now. as someone who did leave that great city (and thanks for hte arts precint lovin' ), i can tell you what a paucity of good cultural life can do to a city! sounds like really intriguing work. perception, is that what it's all about?
i think so. it reminded me of reading Brilliant Lies at school - you think you've made your mind up, then another layer gets peeled back and you end up at square one. which character you sympathise with, depends on what you believe the truth to be. and the actions and reactions of each character can have completely different meanings depending on this too.
Post a Comment
<< Home