Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Monday, June 12, 2006

Addendum

When I first picked my top 5 cover artworks, I thought I’d thoroughly searched through my CD collection. However, there was one really important album I overlooked – its CD casing is an awkward size and therefore isn’t stored with the rest of my stuff, so it’s been tucked away with some DVDs in my bookshelf instead. Sorry, George.

All Things Must Pass by George Harrison (1971)
George was hands-down my favourite Beatle for many reasons, and this is a really beautiful album. It was re-released and re-mastered in 2001 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of its original recording. As you listen to it, you really get a feel for the kind of gentle and serene man that George must have been (not to mention what a fine musician and songwriter he was too), and I can’t help but get a bit wistful when I think about his untimely passing. Even though this album is full of gems such as the sublime “My Sweet Lord”, “Wah-Wah” and “What Is Life” (I also really like the way this song is used in the movie Goodfellas), the wise and sombre “Beware Of Darkness” and “Isn’t It A Pity” are stunning.


The cover itself features a very hippy-looking George Harrison sitting on a stool in a reserve/park dressed a bit like an elf or dwarf with a very cool pair of boots. He’s looking pretty pensive, whilst the four little dwarves around him are kicking back and relaxing, lolling about on the grass beside him. The inlay features the same image, except in the background, you see images of a grey, cold city. This says it all.

1 Comments:

Blogger M? said...

What a cute drawf our friend George makes!

Great pick and it's hard to overlook as a very unique coverart! Is that a long player?

I dunno about you, but Mr Harrison has more than a passing resemblance to Mr Donavon of the August March. D'you think? Maybe it's just my myopia playing trixies again!

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home