Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Anywhere But Here

This post actually has a lot in common with the Top 5 cover art post. On both occasions, I thought the task would be easy, but it’s been anything but. There’s no obvious theme to the destinations I’ve chosen, but I guess they each have a rich history and some on this list certainly have a somewhat chequered past.

1. Chicago
Last year I was lucky enough to spend about a month in the United States. I really wanted to squeeze in a visit to Chicago, but unfortunately the lack of both time and money dictated otherwise. Chicago is the third most populated city in the U.S. and home to a large European migrant population. It’s also renowned for having the largest population of Polish people outside Poland. I have to admit that my idea of this city is somewhat romanticised, based on what I’ve read – just check out The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow, and you’ll see what I mean. I imagine Chicago to bustle and hum along in a similar way to New York City. I’ve also come to realise from my limited travels thus far, that a city’s great architecture and general cityscape is always a big attraction for me. Chicago is no exception.


2. Belfast
Belfast (Béal Feirste in Irish), located in the province of Ulster, is the largest city in Northern Ireland and is also its capital. Sadly, Belfast has in the past been at the centre of sectarian conflict between Protestants (aka unionists) and Catholics (aka nationalists). Apparently, in recent years a lot of money has been poured into rebuilding the battered infrastructure of the city, but a number of sectarian murals still remain, signifying the political and religious leanings of certain communities. Fortunately, such images are now being replaced by less provocative images such as memorials to the late legendary footballer, George Best, who was born in Belfast.


3. Jerusalem
Although I’d never dream of travelling to Israel in this current climate, some day if the conflict over there ever calms down, I’d love to visit Jerusalem. For years, my mum has always talked about wanting to visit what she refers to as The Holy Land. It took a while for me to become interested in it, but after reading some work by the Israeli author, Etgar Keret, my curiosity was piqued (check out The Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God and The Nimrod Flip-Out for a crash course on human nature, sprinkled with lessons on needless sectarian conflict). It saddens me greatly that a city that’s regarded as so sacred to so many people, with such a long history, has fallen victim to so many awful events.


4. Munich
I couldn’t write this post without a nod to one of the host cities for the 2006 World Cup. I’ve been getting square eyes watching the soccer coverage over the last two weeks and all I can say is that the sleep deprivation has been worth it. There’s also a vast difference between the architecture and general landscape of European cities compared to that of our relatively young country over here. How nice to be let loose with a camera around one’s neck in this gorgeous city I ask? And yeah, Munich is also the home of the annual beer and sausage orgy that is Oktoberfest. What’s German for “bottom’s up”?


5. Prague
Prague is the capital of the Czech Republic, and is located in central Bohemia. This beautiful city is well known for its stunning buildings, and its historic centre has actually been named as a World Heritage Site. Franz Kafka is also buried here … somewhere. Again, I’d love to just wander around this place with a camera for a week or two.


6. Warsaw
The one and only time I visited Poland was with my family, at the age of about two and a half. Hence my memories of the place are pretty limited. Warsaw is Poland’s capital and also its largest city. During World War II, Warsaw was heavily bombed and many buildings were destroyed. Sadly, the city is also known for the Warsaw Ghetto and the subsequent Warsaw Ghetto Uprising – two very dark chapters of its past. Many of Warsaw’s historic churches, buildings and streets were restored following the war. Its historic centre, Old Town, was added to the World Heritage List in 1980 (the same year that Poland broke free of communism). Honestly, up until a few months ago, I had never felt the pull to visit what I jokingly refer to as the ‘old country’. Maybe the change of heart is a sign of getting older and watching one’s parents and grandparents, and beginning to think about things a little differently?

4 Comments:

Blogger M? said...

I share your sentiments about visiting the 'old country'. Age lends itself a unique perspective and with that comes all that wisdom and appreciation your folks were trying to imbue you with when younger. Is this what growing up is all about?

Love all your picks and certainly want to visit them all, methinks the inclusion of Munich is partly for the World Cup but mostly about Octoberfest right? ;)

11:09 AM  
Blogger flygirl said...

hail, fellow "exiled" ones! i too share this sentiment of wanting to visit the "old country" with a much more changed perspective and enthusiasm from when i first visisted Lanka as a 10 year old.

terrific selection, vernoona, wouldn't it be grand to be in europe right now? you could hop from city to city per match of interest and then try to make it to Berlin for the final! ah i can dream! esp love inclusion of Prague. you selections have so many strong architectural merits particularly!

11:59 AM  
Blogger yossarian said...

hehehe, with reference to the point that my inclusion of munich is a thinly veiled tribute to oktoberfest: "it's all about the beer" (thanks to the people who do the marketing for Heineken)

and with reference to the 'old country': maybe the desire to go back and visit is like gardening - you hit a certain age and it just happens?? nah seriously, i think it does come with getting a bit older and having some perspective and life experience. maybe?

11:14 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I have traveled widely in the world visiting cities such as Venice, Cape Town and many others and have to say that I was enormously impressed with Prague. It is the finest city I have ever had the pleasure to visit. Never has a place captivated my imagination nor stirred my soul quite the way Praha did. Whatever you had planned for your next holiday, cancel it immediately book Prague hotels and go to Prague instead. Historic and architectural treasures down every street, music events every day, inexpensive bars and restaurants, good food and beer, friendly locals, knowledgeable guides. My only regret is that it's taken me half a lifetime to discover it.

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home