Five Places In Time
February 11, 1994
Thinking about this occasion always brings out my inner blubbering, sentimental dork. This date corresponds to the first live gig I ever went to which was held on a damp Friday evening at the Myer Music Bowl. The band was Crowded House. I’ve got an old diary entry from around that time which goes for pages and pages, detailing every single song complete with all their cheeky quips and banter. I remember coming home, scrambling into bed and writing and writing until I couldn’t recall any more. The memories of that evening have faded with time, but I’ll never forget how earth-shattering it was to see those guys live.
Anytime
This one’s a little vague and non-specific, but I think everyone’s familiar with the type of experience or feeling that I’m talking about. It often happens when you’re still getting to know someone, and hence your friendship/relationship with that person is still in its infancy. It’s that really nice feeling of having a day out or great conversation with someone where you learn a lot about them for the first time, or occasionally that you might have misjudged them based on your earlier impressions. Sometimes it’s great to be wrong.
San Diego en route to Atlanta, April 2005
Tackling my first overseas trip alone last year was a really big deal. I remember the morning of my flight out of Melbourne, shuddering under my quilt wondering, “Do I really have to do this?” When leaving San Diego, which had been my first stop, I remember looking out the plane window and marvelling at how nothing had gone wrong so far. Now on my way to Atlanta to navigate my way through a lab visit, there were those mixed feelings churning around – somewhere between dread, excitement, being way out of one’s depth, yet strangely feeling intrepid and feisty.
Spoilt At Home
During primary school, whenever I was unwell, mum would let me spend the day with my grandma next door while my parents were at work. Grandma would bundle me up on the couch in front of the telly and bring on a steady stream of food and philosophising. I’ve been extremely lucky to have my grandparents in such close proximity all these years.
Raving Dork!
One of the most affecting films I’ve recently seen is the Neil Young doco that I mentioned on this blog a little while ago. I saw it earlier this year and it’s spawned a keen interest in both the man and his music. I guess I look so fondly on this film since I saw it with two great friends and it’s also one of those flicks that doesn’t suffer at all if you watch it more than once. There’s lots of emotion bound up in this film, between everyone involved in its making, and it positively leaps off the screen. It’s a beautiful documentation of an absolutely gorgeous concert, as well as a great tribute to an amazing songwriter.
For other such musings, see also: jfox, Cassiopeia Gegenbauer III, Sartorial, Serenity Now and Flygirl.
Thinking about this occasion always brings out my inner blubbering, sentimental dork. This date corresponds to the first live gig I ever went to which was held on a damp Friday evening at the Myer Music Bowl. The band was Crowded House. I’ve got an old diary entry from around that time which goes for pages and pages, detailing every single song complete with all their cheeky quips and banter. I remember coming home, scrambling into bed and writing and writing until I couldn’t recall any more. The memories of that evening have faded with time, but I’ll never forget how earth-shattering it was to see those guys live.
Anytime
This one’s a little vague and non-specific, but I think everyone’s familiar with the type of experience or feeling that I’m talking about. It often happens when you’re still getting to know someone, and hence your friendship/relationship with that person is still in its infancy. It’s that really nice feeling of having a day out or great conversation with someone where you learn a lot about them for the first time, or occasionally that you might have misjudged them based on your earlier impressions. Sometimes it’s great to be wrong.
San Diego en route to Atlanta, April 2005
Tackling my first overseas trip alone last year was a really big deal. I remember the morning of my flight out of Melbourne, shuddering under my quilt wondering, “Do I really have to do this?” When leaving San Diego, which had been my first stop, I remember looking out the plane window and marvelling at how nothing had gone wrong so far. Now on my way to Atlanta to navigate my way through a lab visit, there were those mixed feelings churning around – somewhere between dread, excitement, being way out of one’s depth, yet strangely feeling intrepid and feisty.
Spoilt At Home
During primary school, whenever I was unwell, mum would let me spend the day with my grandma next door while my parents were at work. Grandma would bundle me up on the couch in front of the telly and bring on a steady stream of food and philosophising. I’ve been extremely lucky to have my grandparents in such close proximity all these years.
Raving Dork!
One of the most affecting films I’ve recently seen is the Neil Young doco that I mentioned on this blog a little while ago. I saw it earlier this year and it’s spawned a keen interest in both the man and his music. I guess I look so fondly on this film since I saw it with two great friends and it’s also one of those flicks that doesn’t suffer at all if you watch it more than once. There’s lots of emotion bound up in this film, between everyone involved in its making, and it positively leaps off the screen. It’s a beautiful documentation of an absolutely gorgeous concert, as well as a great tribute to an amazing songwriter.
For other such musings, see also: jfox, Cassiopeia Gegenbauer III, Sartorial, Serenity Now and Flygirl.
5 Comments:
Great post yoss!
i like your anytime thoughts a lot - it _is_ great to be wrong sometimes!
Yay!
For a sec, I thought the blog entry was from February 1994. But then it struck me, Neil Finn & co. are aliens. The UFO sighting I recalled was from January 1994. A coincidence? I think not!
can't pick...all great! but esp anytime, san diego travelling bug and at home...all gold!
i second those sentiments sartorial but do i dare posit that that was a sly reference to neil young???
awesome blog! i loved the way you described your first concert experience...it was so genuine, at first i felt envy but then i reflected on my own first concert experience and whilst the band was no where near as sentimental as Crowded House (i was a massive savage garden fan and that was my first concert) my feelings were very much like yours! i remember going home and writing every detail down so i could make sure i NEVER forgot it!
Your independent trip sounds awesome, i had a similar experience this year when i flew for the first time ever to Melbourne to spend 4 days just with me in a city where i knew no one with no idea how to get anywhere!
Thanks again for the great blog! your blogs are like a great novel, i want to go make a coffee and curl up in front of them and read in calm bliss!
Post a Comment
<< Home