Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Monday, September 18, 2006

Only In Dreams

Needless to say, pruning down this list was difficult. For that matter, ask me about this any other day and I’ll probably generate a totally different bunch of occupations.

Taking Into Account My Actual Capabilities
First of all, I’d really like to be better at my current job. It’d be nice to be less technically inept and to grasp new ideas and concepts a bit quicker. I wish I had a higher bull**** threshold too. Failing that, working at JB HiFi would be pretty cool – music all day long, presumably heavily discounted merchandise and not having to take any work home with me. I also sometimes wish I hadn’t been a TAFE snob and done sound engineering after all - I think my gender would have worked against me though. Or more realistically, maybe social work, psychology or teaching (primary not secondary!)?? After all, sorting out other people’s issues is always easier than sorting out one’s own, right?

If I Was More Academically Inclined
Despite having heard that it’s becoming a highly litigious profession, if God had given me more brains and if I didn’t have an aversion to poking my finger (or hand) up the less desirable ends of cute, fuzzy critters, I have to confess that I’d love to be a vet. For a long time, I wanted to (smother your chuckles) be a healer of humans, but in recent years I’ve discovered that I like animals a whole lot better. Maybe working with them day-to-day would help me figure out why us idiot humans insist that we belong at the top of the food chain. Then again, maybe I’d also find that out if I became the aforementioned social worker or psychologist??

For more daydreaming about dream jobs ... see also Serenity Now, Cassiopeia Gegenbaueren III, jfox, Sartorial and Flygirl.

5 Comments:

Blogger M? said...

Hey Yossarian, love the weezer ref!

Nice selections, I think you have a fair amount of experience when it comes to musical appreciation, looking after cute critters (they really are better than some humans!), putting up with bullshit and teaching- though they might be one and the same! And heck, university students are similar to primary school kids right? It's also never too late and methinks the sound engineering may yet call for you to rise to the occasion!

I gotta say I'd be happy to have work to take home if I worked at JB HiFi, provided it didn't involve listening to the Ronn Moss collection!

All the best and catch you this Friday!

12:02 AM  
Blogger popcorn cynic said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:16 PM  
Blogger popcorn cynic said...

Punz and I were just talking earlier about how we'd prefer anything to this postgraduate research guff. I've toyed with the idea of psychology and education too. Hmmm.

Why oh why did we choose the path of Permanent Homework? Gahhh! Save me, Yossarian!

3:19 PM  
Blogger bek said...

i really enjoyed reading your thoughts on dream jobs (but i always enjoy them!) I used to want to be a vet also but then i did some work experience and realised i found it too hard to be responsible for having to say goodbye to someones best friend.... then i thought about psych but realised that hearing other peoples problems all day would get me down. I sort of 'fell' into teaching (primary of course!) and as a teacher, i can honestly say its a great job! I love it, everyday i learn something and my children become a part of me and are pretty much the centre of all my conversations (unfortunatly for my friends and family). Everyday i feel like i'm making a little difference and hopefully I'm not teaching kids what to think but rather how to think. Despite my love for it, sometimes i wish i could go to work and leave work with no 'homeowork' and a jb HiFi sounds ideal!
No job is perfect, but i think you have to love it or its just too hard!
What is your occupation??? you said if you were more academic, but i have a feeling you are VERY academic!

6:54 PM  
Blogger popcorn cynic said...

GOOD LUCK for your talk this afternoon! :) :) :)

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home