Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Defeating Monsters

Walking along the bridge to Telstra Dome last night, following the sea of other U2 fans, the enormity of last night’s show didn’t really hit me until I looked down at all the huge trucks parked outside the arena. Only then did I start to smell the whiff of excitement. After a week of particularly bizarre Melbourne weather, the gods were smiling on us and the balmy evening was shaping up to be perfect for an outdoor gig.

You could be forgiven for at times thinking that the fellas just get up there and go through the motions - smirking Adam, studious Larry, intense Edge and charismatic Bono. Yet somehow, despite the enormous images being beamed up behind the band, closely co-ordinated with each number, strangely enough, a sense of sincerity and (stranger still at such a big show) intimacy, somehow still managed to come through. Last night, the set was littered with new stuff from U2’s latest album, but without a doubt, it was the older songs – of which there were plenty – that made the crowd go absolutely wild. Despite the cramped conditions, heat, and occasionally inconsiderate people that can be found in any general admission crowd, we still happily found the energy to holler, whoop, jump and dance throughout the marathon show.


Bono emerged draped in an Australian flag, and launched into “City of Blinding Lights”, then “Vertigo”. But it wasn’t long before he led the band into some of their older, best-known numbers like “Sunday Bloody Sunday”, “Pride” and “New Year’s Day”. The beauty of these tunes is that they might have been penned twenty years ago, but even now – especially now, for that matter - they still resonate. And whilst he used to talk a lot about the unrest in his home country, it’s obvious that Bono’s passion and motivation is still burning, but these days concerns world issues. At one point he commented that, “You don’t have to become a monster, in order to defeat a monster.” The night flew by, with Bono in total command, plucking out members of the crowd at random – for an impromptu piggy-back for one girl, or to hold the hand of another for the opening strains of “With Or Without You” (which has probably got one of the most instantly recognisable bass lines on the planet).

It’s really hard to pick standout tunes from a show which was generously laden full of treats, but without a doubt “Where The Streets Have No Name” took me back to the first time I saw U2 back in 1998, with the crowd again erupting to the Edge’s characteristic guitar work. It might sound strange, but this is such a great song, even before it 'starts' – the urgent opening surging and enveloping the listener. “Bullet The Blue Sky” was as menacing as ever, perfect in the breezy night air. “Miss Sarajevo” was dedicated to all our armed forces and for their safe return home. As Bono started singing, I wondered whether he’d tackle the part that Pavarotti normally sings on this duet. Bono pulled it off beautifully, and no matter how routine doing live shows might have become for him, I don’t think you could fake the emotion he showed during this song. Towards the end of the show, the band performed a slightly stripped-back “Desire”, complete with Bono on harmonica at the end.

More recent tunes included “Beautiful Day” and “Elevation”, and “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own”, the latter being described by Bono as a song about family. I hadn’t heard it before, but it was one of those tunes that you don’t have to be familiar with, in order for it to pack a punch. The inevitable “One” was gorgeous, with the word being beamed up in several different languages during the song, and at its conclusion, a gigantic number 1 appeared on the screen behind the band. As I said earlier, it’s funny how these songs might have been written a while ago, but have taken on a new meaning, especially in these heady times. The night concluded with the gentle “Kite”, which was a fitting way to end a rollicking ride through an enormous amount of material.

“Thanks for being patient,” Bono said to the crowd at one point very late in the evening. Thinking back to nearly a year ago when our tickets were bought, it has indeed been quite a wait. But on reflection, despite today’s hoarse voice and sore legs, I can happily say it was worth it.

8 Comments:

Blogger bek said...

Wow, you've had a big week!! Pearl Jam...U2!
I must admit i am a big admirer of U2 and in my eyes Bono can do no wrong! With that stated...it was stubborness that sw me not going to this recent tour! your blog helped me feel a little part of it though so thanks!
The music is timeless...there is really nothing else i can say about them...i respect them greatly! I'm glad they ended with Kite...i think its a really understated song! A friend of mine who went to the sydney one said they didnt sing "All I want is You', which is my favourite :(
Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own- is actually written about Bono's dad, who died recently and had a turbulent relationship with Sir Bono (in my eyes!)
Thanks again!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Serenity Later said...

you got to hand it to these consumate professionals to give us one heck of a show. i'm still buzzing from it today, though you're right about the sore feet and hoarse throat - i'm exhausted from it all! they played nearly everything i wanted to hear except 'walk on'. if you get a chance check out some pix from last night's show that someone posted on this website http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/latestpictures.html - pretty spesh!!!

6:16 PM  
Blogger M? said...

Dunno know about you Yoss, but Saturday's show had me reeling in the same fashion of Radiohead back in 2004. It was such an amazing experience but I feel exhausted- imagine how the poor souls who had to do it again the very next night must've felt. Bless 'em.

Hope you're well and look forward to catching up again soon!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some good reviews there! I don't mind Pearl Jam but I am not the biggest fan of U2 or Bono but I did get to see them play together at that "make poverty history" concert which was pretty cool! The highlight for me would be seeing Matt Cameron drumming during that song as Soundgarden are one of my favourite bands.

Glad you had a good time at both shows!

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A big week yossarian! Another great review, and you must have a pretty big buzz coming off 2 huge shows in a week. It seemed like just a few months ago that they had to postpone the shows...Big fan of 'Miss Sarajevo' and from the sounds of things they really nailed it.

10:47 PM  
Blogger popcorn cynic said...

Excellent review!

As I told m's nemesis recently, "With or without you" reminds me of swimming lessons back in grade 1 or 2, and hearing that song on the radio (playing over the public pool's speakers) while I swam laps. It's bizarre that I remember that.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Creative Studios said...

Hello. I just clicked onto your blog by clicking the "recently updated" blogs list at blogger.com. Who knew that thing actually worked. Anyhow, love the Catch 22 reference :)

5:07 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Sounded like a great concert. A work mate was raving about the concert. I wish I had tickets since I have become a huge U2 fan in the past year. I have all their albums now and know all their classic songs very well.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home