Vale Paulo
Unfortunately, I was overseas last year when the RocKwiz episode featuring Paul Hester first went to air. Over a year later, the re-run was on tonight and I finally got to see what ended up being his last appearance on TV. As I said in another post some time ago, Crowded House was the first band I went totally bananas over. For me, it tends to be the music first and lyrics later, that are the main attraction. I’ve never been one for trying to prise out the meanings behind lyrics, even though the art of songwriting is one I admire, and I envy anyone who can do it well. With these guys, it was the melodies, as well as the understated wistfulness in some of their particular songs.
I only saw Crowded House twice live, first in 1994 and then in 1996, just before their big Sydney farewell. Paul was a scream. Incredibly cheeky, quick-witted and self-deprecating, sitting at the back of the stage behind his drums, forming the antidote to Neil Finn’s seriousness and droll sense of humour. These days, a mirror image of these two can be found in Dave Williams and Glenn Richards from Augie March, Dave constantly undermining Glenn The Perfectionist.
Paul Hester took his life in March last year, leaving behind two beautiful little girls, as well as a legion of friends and fans who adored him. When I read the news online, confirming what a good friend had told me earlier that morning, I was amazed at how acutely I felt the grief. I literally sat in front of the computer and cried. As someone who was merely a fan, I can’t really lay any claim to feeling truly deep sorrow, although a friend from high school and I did meet Paul very briefly after a show
once, and it coincided with her 18th birthday. She audaciously shared this information with him, and he wisely told her that alcohol would never taste quite the same now that she was technically an adult. If two teenage-nearly-adults wanted to make conversation with me, I very likely wouldn’t take them seriously, especially if I was in his position. Yet he was lovely, and not condescending or patronising at all. I’m one who’s very apprehensive about meeting anyone well-known, especially anyone I admire or look up to. The last thing you want is for your bubble to be burst - imagine revering someone only to find out that they’re a complete tosser?? I’d rather kid myself with the illusion of perfection rather than see them topple off their pedestal.
The worst thing about Paul’s untimely passing is that no matter how loved he was, it simply wasn’t enough to sustain him. I like to think that when people pass on, they acquire what I call an All Seeing Eye. They see the aftermath of their passing, and watch over their loved ones. Seeing Paul on the teev tonight, looking so comfortable and in his element, performing “Walk And Don’t Look Back” (some of the words now taking on a whole new meaning) with Donna Simpson from The Waifs (who started off the show with a gorgeous version of Neil Young’s “Powderfinger”), initially left me feeling quite deflated. But I guess wherever Paul is now, he’s got peace of mind and isn’t oppressed by the worries that were hounding him in life.
God bless, Paul. And thanks for being among the first bunch of people who initiated me into the wondrous spectacle that is live music.
I only saw Crowded House twice live, first in 1994 and then in 1996, just before their big Sydney farewell. Paul was a scream. Incredibly cheeky, quick-witted and self-deprecating, sitting at the back of the stage behind his drums, forming the antidote to Neil Finn’s seriousness and droll sense of humour. These days, a mirror image of these two can be found in Dave Williams and Glenn Richards from Augie March, Dave constantly undermining Glenn The Perfectionist.
Paul Hester took his life in March last year, leaving behind two beautiful little girls, as well as a legion of friends and fans who adored him. When I read the news online, confirming what a good friend had told me earlier that morning, I was amazed at how acutely I felt the grief. I literally sat in front of the computer and cried. As someone who was merely a fan, I can’t really lay any claim to feeling truly deep sorrow, although a friend from high school and I did meet Paul very briefly after a show
once, and it coincided with her 18th birthday. She audaciously shared this information with him, and he wisely told her that alcohol would never taste quite the same now that she was technically an adult. If two teenage-nearly-adults wanted to make conversation with me, I very likely wouldn’t take them seriously, especially if I was in his position. Yet he was lovely, and not condescending or patronising at all. I’m one who’s very apprehensive about meeting anyone well-known, especially anyone I admire or look up to. The last thing you want is for your bubble to be burst - imagine revering someone only to find out that they’re a complete tosser?? I’d rather kid myself with the illusion of perfection rather than see them topple off their pedestal.The worst thing about Paul’s untimely passing is that no matter how loved he was, it simply wasn’t enough to sustain him. I like to think that when people pass on, they acquire what I call an All Seeing Eye. They see the aftermath of their passing, and watch over their loved ones. Seeing Paul on the teev tonight, looking so comfortable and in his element, performing “Walk And Don’t Look Back” (some of the words now taking on a whole new meaning) with Donna Simpson from The Waifs (who started off the show with a gorgeous version of Neil Young’s “Powderfinger”), initially left me feeling quite deflated. But I guess wherever Paul is now, he’s got peace of mind and isn’t oppressed by the worries that were hounding him in life.
God bless, Paul. And thanks for being among the first bunch of people who initiated me into the wondrous spectacle that is live music.
5 Comments:
This blog is wonderful. I never had the honour of seeing crowded house live but to this day their music is constantly on my playlist.
I related to so much of what you wrote. When you were talking about the humour of Paul i was greatly reminded of Augie and then you made reference to it!
I too, shy away from famous people, particularily the ones i greatly admire. In my mind i build them up to be perfect and faultless and i fear a real life enounter would only disappoint.
Its difficult to express how you feel when someone you have never met dies, yet they have hugely impacted on your life....I guess you feel like a little part of inspiration is gone and the ones we idolise are not immortal.
Thanks for a great blog
Phew! Yoss, you're tugging those emotional strings a bit tight with this! It's sad to think that it's been almost 2 years now, and strange how that song echoes more meaning now. Sort of like Drake's Fruit Tree.
I loved the retelling of your encounter. Had no idea you met him! Also, really like the thought of an 'all seeing eye' for those who have passed.
Be well
It's really sad to see people go unexpectedly. With famous people it's as if you knew them that makes it hard to take sometimes. I saw the Finn brothers play last year and they sang a song for Paul. There was barely a dry eye in the crowd...
Well written yossarian on a tough subject...
What a beautiful tribute.
Suicide is always hard to understand, even more so when the person "appears" to have everything going for them.
He's missed.
Great update. I remember sitting and watching Foxtel the day he died and them playing all old footage of him on one of the music channels. Was so sad. I think they also played that final Crowded House concert at the Opera House. That was a fantastic show.
Post a Comment
<< Home