Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Top 20

This was tougher than I thought. Needless to say, ask me to come up with this list on another day and it’s likely to be quite different (although I think the top five are likely to remain in their current positions). What separates these albums from the others I own?? The reasons vary - from reminding me of a certain period of time, to being in an unusual format (cassette or vinyl), to being the album I listen to late at night just before I go to sleep, to being great company while driving. The most important thing they all have in common is that they always let me out of my headspace for a little while.

1. Together Alone - Crowded House (1993)
I could go on and on about how great this album is, but I already did that in a post written back in April. In a nutshell, this LP will always be precious, musically, and for many sentimental reasons.

2. Harvest - Neil Young (1972)
Earlier this year, M's Nemesis loaned me an old copy of Mojo magazine. This particular edition had some musicians/celebrities nominating their heroes. As I flicked through, I noticed that Neil Young kept getting mentioned - by people ranging from Gaz Coombes from Supergrass, to Emmylou Harris. As I read Emmylou's interview, she mentioned that if you hadn't heard any Neil Young before, Harvest was a good place to start. This was great advice, and I've since bought a few more of his albums which still only tips the iceberg of the vast amount of material he's released over the years. Harvest itself is somewhere between old-school-guitar-noodling-rock/pop/folk/country, and if neophytes like me can still appreciate it nearly 35 years (!!) after it was released, then that says it all.

3. Woodface - Crowded House (1991)

4. Try Whistling This - Neil Finn (1998)
This LP (Neil Finn's first solo outing) was released in 1998 and provided me with a 'soundtrack' to my first year at uni. The material veers from sweet pop to murky, dark balladry. At the time, it was much rougher around the edges, and less polished than his previous work, but probably all the better for it. The two standout tracks are "Souvenir" and "Twisty Bass". I missed the point of both of these for a while, but once I got it ...

5. Salty - The Mutton Birds (1993)
This album is probably one of the most underappreciated ones I own. The copy I have is on cassette and was taped for me by a friend. Hence, the first time I've actually seen its 'real' cover was when I did a Google search for it while writing this post. I discovered The Mutton Birds while we were on a family holiday in New Zealand. There were long stretches of driving and although I don't know if this is still the case, back then, NZ radio was very generous with its airplay of local acts. This album is full of gorgeous melodic pop tunes, slightly less polished than the likes of Crowded House/Split Enz. Favourite tunes of mine from this LP include "The Heater" (which is literally about a guy who buys a small electric heater) and "In My Room" which despite its name, provides the listener with a strange sense of escapism.

6. Everyone Is Here - The Finn Brothers (2004)

7. Finn - The Finn Brothers (1995)

8. OK Computer - Radiohead (1997)
I remember receiving a copy of this for my 18th birthday, and it came wrapped in some very cool Spiderman paper. 8 years on, the CD and the paper are still intact.

9. Zuma - Neil Young and Crazy Horse (1975)


An enormous thank you to Augie March and Dan Kelly & The Alpha Males for performing "Don't Cry No Tears" at the HiFi Bar earlier this year. That song is just one of many gems on this record.



10. Moo, You Bloody Choir - Augie March (2006)
Just when you thought the arrangements couldn't get any more lush or the lyrics any more cryptic ...

11. Convicts - You Am I (2006)
Energetic, punchy and coarse. This most recent offering is right up there with the likes of Hi Fi Way and Hourly, Daily. Love it!

12. Martha Wainwright - Martha Wainwright (2005)

13. Hourly, Daily - You Am I (1996)
Can't believe it's 10 years since this was released. Almost as hard to believe as the idea that corkers like "Good Mornin", "Tuesday", "If We Can't Get It Together" and "Who Takes Who Home?" are all packed into the one record. Jeez, I think I should have put this album higher up on the list >:-(

14. Strange Bird - Augie March (2002)

15. Achtung Baby - U2 (1991)

16. What Was Left - Clare Bowditch and The Feeding Set (2005)
I'm embarrasssed to admit that this was an acquired taste for me. It took a long time for me to fully appreciate this CD, and it only happened after seeing the band perform earlier this year. What stands out about this record is that it's so personal and heartfelt and deals with subject matter that you wouldn't think would make good fodder for a folk/pop record like this. But it works, and it works well - gradually reeling in the listener with its candour and sincerity.

17. All Is Dream - Mercury Rev (2001)
Although I'd heard of Mercury Rev, I'd never actually heard any of their music before seeing them live for the first time last year. Their live show is something else - so to actually hear them on CD afterwards feels as though they've been a bit diluted. That aside, this is probably my favourite album of theirs (of the ones I own anyway) and Jonathan's voice on this is beautiful. What shines through - seeing them live or otherwise - is how positive their music is, it doesn't leave you brooding or reflective, but makes you marvel at the power of the sound these guys can produce. My favourites from this are "Little Rhymes" (which I think anyone who's had to deal with false people can relate to - good to listen to when you're fed up with everyone or feeling alone) and "You're My Queen" (really typical of the style in which they sing about women, like they're beings to be worshipped).

18. Comes A Time - Neil Young (1978)

19. Crowded House - Crowded House (1986)

20. The Bends - Radiohead (1995)

For more musings on top albums, check out the blogs of Cassiopeia Gegenbaueren III, Flygirl, jfox, Sartorial and Serenity Now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jonno said...

Yes it would've been hard to compile a top 20. Thinking about it I don't think I could, probably because it'd be quite tragic! That and I seem to change my mind a lot. I can't say I've got a lot of the albums on your list unfortunately. I'll have to go back to your post in April to read the Together Along review. Nice list yossarian.

7:53 PM  
Blogger M? said...

Hello Yossarian!

Glad the opportunity to let those creative juices flow came at the right time. Excellent list and am very impressed with the selections (yes, biased opinion that may be!) Look forward to reading everyone else's lists too.

Hey Jonno- maybe you should join us on this tagged'concurrent blogging thing with your own list? :)

12:26 PM  
Blogger bek said...

I watched the ABC count-down and was thinking as it aired what mine would be...Like you said there are some obviously ones that jump to my mind...there are some i love right now but maybe not tomorrow and there are some which will always be with me because listening to them changed me in some way...even if today they appear daggy!
Its so random..i read your blog as i was going through my cd's for an up-coming garage sale and i was shocked at how thrown back to the past i was... needless to say i did not donate any to the garage sale!
Thanks for the blog

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home