Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Monday, April 16, 2007

Real Wild Child

In the course of celebrating 20 years on air, the good folk at Rage are treating us night owls and rolling out some of the most memorable videos that have appeared over that time during the month of April. As part of the celebrations, Rage viewers (or not even) are being given the chance to put together their own playlist of 20 songs. If you win, you get to be the featured guest programmer during one show.

Don’t know about any other Delayed Onset Adolescence sufferers out there, but when I found out about this, I got really excited. I’ve definitely got a face for radio, but even I’ll admit that it’d be very cool indeed to get to sit on that couch for an hour, bathed in that strange purply light.


So here’s my list, in no particular order…lovingly compiled when I should, er, really be doing other more important things. All these numbers are, above all, great songs – and I wouldn’t have picked any songs I don’t like, even if they do have a great video.

Don’t Dream It’s Over – Crowded House

Out Of Time – Blur
Beautiful. Damon Albarn’s voice is perfect on this song. And I couldn’t picture any other clip doing it justice.

Early To Bed – Morphine
Some of the kids in this video look a bit perplexed...

In Bloom – Nirvana

Hole In Your Roof – Augie March
Glenn Richards in a flannel, looking like he just escaped from a youth detention facility. And the guy making the figurine is great too.

Black Hole Sun – Soundgarden

Roxanne – The Police

All I Want Is You – U2
Gorgeous video for a beautiful song. I won’t spoil it, but be aware that there are apparently two alternative endings.

Berlin Chair – You Am I
Love the older gent who does the dancing around!

Sunburn – Muse
Does this one need an explanation??

Street Spirit – Radiohead

Know Your Product – The Saints
The video actually gives me a bit of a headache, but it’s still a great number. There’s something nice about seeing Chris Bailey distorted.

Loser – Beck

Rabbit In Your Headlights – U.N.K.L.E.
Even though it makes you flinch, it’s mesmerising.

Friday On My Mind – The Easybeats
How much fun do they look like they're having??

Monkey Wrench – Foo Fighters
I hope this is the right song. Unless I’m getting mixed up with another one, this is the one where the band are in a flat, being watched through the peephole from outside?

Heroes – David Bowie
When you think about it, this is actually pretty low-tech, and even when he begins to sound a little urgent later in the song, he just doesn’t ham it up enough. I like the jumpsuit though.

Reoffender – Travis
Very well acted on the part of the band.

Common People – Pulp

It’s A Long Way To The Top – AC/DC
Swanston Street, old rattler trams and bagpipes.

Bit of a daggy list, but lots of fun to put together anyway.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jonno said...

Have you entered your list yossarian? It's a diverse compilation you have there, and while I recognise the songs I don't remember the clips! Rage is my way of finding new music to listen to and it's a great idea.

Any other recommendations for the Comedy Festival? Time's running out and I've only seen one show!

6:27 PM  
Blogger M? said...

Hey Yoss! I agree with Jonny, you should enter that list- an expansive selection with lots of cool clips and songs! And I was torn limiting myself to only one song per band ie. Beck, Radiohead. Will put list up soon!

Jonno> Adam Hills, Wil Anderson, Jimeon and Puppets Up were good so far. Seeing Akmal next week and so far I've heard good things about Mark Watson and Stephen K Amos. Does that make things more confusing? ;)

8:39 PM  
Blogger yossarian said...

thanks for the comments folks - looking forward to reading your respective lists!!

jonno - nope, i haven't entered my list yet. need to cobble together some more convincing explanations for why i like these clips, ie. i don't think that liking david bowie's jumpsuit would get me over the line ;p what's the one comedy festival show that you've seen so far?? due to a dwindling supply of dough, i had to restrict myself to wil anderson only this year. he actually recommended a guy called justin hamilton - who he also highly recommended last year too. might be worth a look?

m's - hehe, yeah it's difficult to restrict the list to one per artist. particularly difficult when you're thinking of song vs video quality too. i was so unsure about whether to include Sunburn or not that i forced myself to watch it several times in a row on sunday afternoon. am still recovering ;-)
by the way, am planning to tackle the baklava on thursday - will bring some in for you on friday if it turns out ok. can't let the meds get all of it! thanks again for saturday evening & hope you and yours had a great remainder of the weekend too!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Jonno said...

yossarian/M's, it was actually Justin that I've seen! Going on Sat also as he's got a continuous story over 3 shows and I need to know what happens next. Thanks for your suggestions, I'm sure I'll make it to at least a couple more. (Really annoyed I missed a the 4 Rockwiz shows though!)

7:47 PM  
Blogger Applecross WC said...

Great list there, there about 5 songs I would have picked also!

I would add Coffee and TV, Everlong and Just as well!

From what I remember the dancing guy in the shiny suit in the Berlin Chair film clip was a boxer and the band like the way he danced so they payed him $80 to dance in the film clip. He also makes a reapperance in the Cathy's Clown clip, which is a great clip also.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Serenity Later said...

i love this yossarian! you know this sounds like a great concurrent blogging theme. i'm going to give it a whirl too now! btw ditto on jonno & m's nemesis call - you have to send this list!

and how cool is the acca dacca clip and seeing how much swanston street's changed. good stuff!

11:26 AM  
Blogger bek said...

Awesome list of songs! really diverse! you should definitely enter it! So many people are caught up in either the here and now or the past ( i think will made a joke about that!!) but you've got an awesome blend!

jonno...i would recommend seeing...Adam Hills (a must!), Fiona O'Loughlin (so funny i had tears) and Tim Minchin (brilliantly talented!)

6:39 PM  
Blogger yossarian said...

jonno - funny you should mention justin hamilton! wil anderson actually commented that he's seen all 3 of the shows!

applecross wc - i'll check out those clips you mentioned! and that's a really interesting bit of info about the Berlin Chair guy ... i had no idea he was a boxer?! and i'll definitely have to revisit the Cathy's Clown video to try and spot him. also, even though i can't remember which video it is, there's also one that features tim rogers' father and sister.

serenity - yeah, m's and i were talking about how this would make a good concurrent topic. would love to see your list, so i'll keep my eyes on yer blog! and i agree about Long Way To The Top ... it's so cool seeing how things have changed - what about the old rattler trams?!! very cool! by the way, did you know that trivia about the YAI videos (see applecross's earlier comment)?

bek - you'll have to try doing a list too! it's lots of fun, but a bit difficult when you find yourself tossing up between songs. i'll definitely be entering in my list this weekend - would be interesting to see what else other people have chosen. and it also sounds as though you had a blast at the comedy festival! hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip & thanks for coming along to wil too!

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home