Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Don't Sell Out, Buy In

I’ve been meaning to hop up on my soapbox and write this post for ages. But every time I start, I think about it and realise that I’m not sure what its point is. Even tonight, when I was rifling through some dusty old shoeboxes, trying to find some old concert tickets (I think the ones I’m after are locked between the covers of some old diaries I kept during high school – the keys to which I can’t locate), I still wasn’t sure what the precise itch is that I’m trying to scratch.

In 1996, when Neil Finn announced that Crowded House were breaking up, it’s no understatement to say that there was a whole legion of fans out there whose hearts got broken. For me, whose impressionable ears’ staple diet consisted of these guys, I thought the world was going to end. Years later, there are many people who have followed the exploits of each band member – some more closely than others – and who also felt the acute grief following Paul Hester’s untimely passing.

Earlier this year, when Neil announced that the band was reforming, I can only speak for myself when I say that I wasn’t as excited as I thought I should be. There are some people out there who seem to think that the band getting back together is motivated by money, but looking back on all their interviews I’ve read over the years, and the times I’ve seen them play live with nothing but enthusiasm and sincerity, I doubt this is the case. I also think that any attempt to “replace” Paul with another drummer would be foolish, not to mention totally transparent. With his wit, charm and drumming style, Hester is irreplaceable – and everyone everywhere knows that.

I guess what worries me is that there might be an attempt to try and recapture something that’s simply too intangible to get back. My fear is the same trepidation I feel when I’m about to listen to a new album for the first time. Will I like it?? Will it cause me to think differently about what went before?? What if it sucks?? This will sound really selfish, but I don’t want my memories of the band tainted by something that doesn’t live up to them. Once you know how good something can be, you really don’t want it to be messed with.

Wet blanket I may be, and sceptical as I am, I sincerely hope this venture works out well. As some sort of disclaimer, I should also admit that I've nabbed a ticket to see the band in Atlanta later this year. Call me sentimental, but it’ll be a nice initiation to experiencing a live show on my own for the first time. To paraphrase one N. Finn: “Bring it on”.

3 Comments:

Blogger jfox said...

hey yoss, this makes me think of our conversation fridee about how bands/ideas/fads/whatever follow a bell curve of currency. one minute you're the new flavour, the next - you're on a downhill slide back to obscurity. and i love the crowdies too, but i think you're right in saying that they might be beyond their peak. having said that, we were lucky to see the new york dolls at the v fest in april (?) and they still maintain a whole lotta spunk and personality onstage... so maybe it won't be so bad?? the atlanta gig will be a good litmus test, you'll have to report back on vernoona!!
(just take a deep breath before you go in!!)

2:22 PM  
Blogger yossarian said...

aaw, you bet jfox - i'll definitely be doing a michael dwyer on that gig. seeing the new york dolls would have been great too ... speaking of spunk and personality, have you heard that the cure are coming to town? jeez, wish i was still going to be here for it >:-(

11:27 PM  
Blogger bek said...

its funny reading this one and your most recent post in the same sitting!

I too was worried about the new release...i'm not as big a fan as you though....but there was no need for our fears! its all worked out in the end

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home