Into The Woods
After (yet) another unproductive day at work, I decided to venture out on a squirrel search this evening to bolster my flagging spirits. I see at least a couple of these relatively elusive little critters each day, but have never had my camera with me when I happen across them. Incidentally, I think there's a personality difference from state to state with these little guys - the ones in Boston and New York will quite literally come up to you and certainly ain't no shrinking violets. The ones here however, bolt as soon as you start cooing at them...then again, if I was a squirrel, I'd probably do the same thing...
One of the major perks of living where I live is that it's well away from the concrete jungle that is downtown Atlanta, and relatively close to where I work - 20 minute walk to the bus stop, and a 10 minute bus ride. In terms of geography, Emory University itself is kind of like what Monash is to the Melbourne CBD - out in the sticks. Whereas the other major "college" over here, Georgia Tech, is situated more like Melbourne Uni, in that it's closer to downtown. But I digress...the apartment complex I live in also happens to have its own private park, with a few little walking trails, set amongst some really beautiful and lush vegetation. With the oppressive humidity and spectacular thunderstorms we've been having during the last few nights, walking through it this evening definitely gave it a rainforest-like feel. I tried taking some pics minus the flash, but they simply turned out too dark. On the other hand, leaving the flash on makes the surrounds appear somewhat eery, and also makes it look as though it was much later in the evening. Jeez, I miss my SLR...



And, er, no squirrels...next time maybe?
One of the major perks of living where I live is that it's well away from the concrete jungle that is downtown Atlanta, and relatively close to where I work - 20 minute walk to the bus stop, and a 10 minute bus ride. In terms of geography, Emory University itself is kind of like what Monash is to the Melbourne CBD - out in the sticks. Whereas the other major "college" over here, Georgia Tech, is situated more like Melbourne Uni, in that it's closer to downtown. But I digress...the apartment complex I live in also happens to have its own private park, with a few little walking trails, set amongst some really beautiful and lush vegetation. With the oppressive humidity and spectacular thunderstorms we've been having during the last few nights, walking through it this evening definitely gave it a rainforest-like feel. I tried taking some pics minus the flash, but they simply turned out too dark. On the other hand, leaving the flash on makes the surrounds appear somewhat eery, and also makes it look as though it was much later in the evening. Jeez, I miss my SLR...
And, er, no squirrels...next time maybe?
5 Comments:
so those east coast, big city squirrels *are* more sophisticated than their yokel southern counterparts, eh?
maybe you need to carry some food in hand :-) lay a trap, get you camera fixed and make like a wildlife photographer
reminds me, we had a pet squirrel for a while when i was in Sri Lanka, used to carry the little critter around in my pocket.
your own private park??! that is so 'notting hill'! it looks beautiful! i'm glad you've found yourself a little out of the city!
Good luck on squirrel hunt... maybe bribe them with bread or whatever they eat!
flygirl - hmm, i think i'll have to get myself a supply of walnuts/hazelnuts or whatever nuts squirrels like...stay tuned for some footage and maybe even some david attenborough-like commentary ;p
bek - yesiree, the park is really pretty. makes me think of that angus & julia stone song, 'private lawns and public parks' - wrong way around i know, but still it's a loose connection!
The park just disappears in the third photo... You're right very eery...
Love the photos!
Post a Comment
<< Home