Big Gesture Room
Crowded House
Tabernacle
Atlanta
September 12, 2007
There were lots and lots of factors conspiring to make this gig completely unenjoyable and unforgettable – a longer than anticipated day at work, downright mean security staff, and a stiflingly hot and grossly overcrowded venue. I have to admit that I got to The Tabernacle, and wasn’t feeling terribly optimistic (or energetic!). But whilst this show perhaps didn’t have quite the same emotional impact of the previous night’s, it still proved that good music can indeed transcend just about anything.
The Tabernacle is located in Atlanta’s downtown area (probably the farthest into downtown that I’ve actually ventured into thus far!) and is a far cry from the intimacy of any little theatre. When greeting the crowd on Wednesday night, Neil Finn wisely pointed out that there was “no room for small talk in this place, it’s a big gesture room.” Its acoustics are great (as I discovered from way up in the rafters), and the first venue I thought of when I looked at the two upper levels surrounding the main floor in front of the stage, was Melbourne’s Forum. That said, that’s probably where their similarities begin and end.
The interesting thing about going to see the same band on two different occasions – especially in quick succession – is that it’s always good to see how/if the set varies from one night to another. Wednesday night’s show was also of particular interest given that it was the last night of the band’s U.S. tour (before playing a festival in Texas), and because of the history of the relationship between Atlanta and Crowded House – the band were here in 1994, and it’s here that Paul Hester left, in the middle of their Together Alone tour.
I was saying to a workmate the following day that it was as if the band were playing for a different “demographic”, with the selection of newer material varying from the night before, whilst the older favourites remained. Among the high points for me was hearing Neil sing a little of “Never Be The Same”, although I got the feeling that most of the crowd didn’t even realise it was an old number, let alone by Crowded House. Neil’s very personal “Hole In The River” (it was written about his aunt who took her life by drowning) was both urgent and beautiful, and it could easily make you forget about the enormity of the setting, as could “The Parting Glass”, which I think is an old Irish song sung to bid someone farewell. I’ve only once heard it on a live recording, so this was a real treat.

It was also great to hear “Pour Le Monde”, which is a song from the most recent album, and I remember reading a review singing its praises and saying how it’s one of the finest moments on the record. It took me a while to appreciate the very simple beauty of this song, and it was well and truly done justice to. “When You Come”, towards the very end of the show was as majestic and buoyant as ever. It’s hard to believe that it was recorded nearly 20 years ago, but still sounds as though it was written only yesterday.

Given that it was their final night on tour, as a thank you, Neil invited Pete Yorn and his band onstage for “Better Be Home Soon”. I neglected to mention Pete earlier – he’s from the U.S. and seems to have a pretty big following of his own. He was sandwiched in between Liam and Crowded House. To my ears, his sound is a little like that of the Gin Blossoms and many other of those early-mid-90s-type bands. “Better Be Home Soon” is one of those songs that can be interpreted in many different ways – it can just as easily make you smile, clap and sway, as it can make you cry. With the nine guys all up on stage and the entire crowd singing along, it was a beautiful thing to listen to and be a part of. I managed to capture most of it on my camera, but I wish the file size wasn’t so chunky otherwise I’d be posting it here.

I'll now finish up my gross self-indulgence by saying that if you get a chance to see these guys live, do it.
And yep, despite some strange sidelong glances, I still took notes...
There Goes God
In My Command
She Called Up
Nobody Wants To
Don’t Stop Now
Fall At Your Feet
Whispers and Moans
Pour Le Monde
Never Be The Same
Hole In The River
“The Parting Glass”
Better Be Home Soon
Italian Plastic
Silent House
She Walked Her Way Down
“Wild World”
Distant Sun
Mean To Me
------------
Locked Out
Private Universe
Something So Strong
------------
When You Come
Neil singing Liam’s “Fire In Your Belly”
Don’t Dream It’s Over
Tabernacle
Atlanta
September 12, 2007
There were lots and lots of factors conspiring to make this gig completely unenjoyable and unforgettable – a longer than anticipated day at work, downright mean security staff, and a stiflingly hot and grossly overcrowded venue. I have to admit that I got to The Tabernacle, and wasn’t feeling terribly optimistic (or energetic!). But whilst this show perhaps didn’t have quite the same emotional impact of the previous night’s, it still proved that good music can indeed transcend just about anything.
The Tabernacle is located in Atlanta’s downtown area (probably the farthest into downtown that I’ve actually ventured into thus far!) and is a far cry from the intimacy of any little theatre. When greeting the crowd on Wednesday night, Neil Finn wisely pointed out that there was “no room for small talk in this place, it’s a big gesture room.” Its acoustics are great (as I discovered from way up in the rafters), and the first venue I thought of when I looked at the two upper levels surrounding the main floor in front of the stage, was Melbourne’s Forum. That said, that’s probably where their similarities begin and end.
The interesting thing about going to see the same band on two different occasions – especially in quick succession – is that it’s always good to see how/if the set varies from one night to another. Wednesday night’s show was also of particular interest given that it was the last night of the band’s U.S. tour (before playing a festival in Texas), and because of the history of the relationship between Atlanta and Crowded House – the band were here in 1994, and it’s here that Paul Hester left, in the middle of their Together Alone tour.
I was saying to a workmate the following day that it was as if the band were playing for a different “demographic”, with the selection of newer material varying from the night before, whilst the older favourites remained. Among the high points for me was hearing Neil sing a little of “Never Be The Same”, although I got the feeling that most of the crowd didn’t even realise it was an old number, let alone by Crowded House. Neil’s very personal “Hole In The River” (it was written about his aunt who took her life by drowning) was both urgent and beautiful, and it could easily make you forget about the enormity of the setting, as could “The Parting Glass”, which I think is an old Irish song sung to bid someone farewell. I’ve only once heard it on a live recording, so this was a real treat.
It was also great to hear “Pour Le Monde”, which is a song from the most recent album, and I remember reading a review singing its praises and saying how it’s one of the finest moments on the record. It took me a while to appreciate the very simple beauty of this song, and it was well and truly done justice to. “When You Come”, towards the very end of the show was as majestic and buoyant as ever. It’s hard to believe that it was recorded nearly 20 years ago, but still sounds as though it was written only yesterday.
Given that it was their final night on tour, as a thank you, Neil invited Pete Yorn and his band onstage for “Better Be Home Soon”. I neglected to mention Pete earlier – he’s from the U.S. and seems to have a pretty big following of his own. He was sandwiched in between Liam and Crowded House. To my ears, his sound is a little like that of the Gin Blossoms and many other of those early-mid-90s-type bands. “Better Be Home Soon” is one of those songs that can be interpreted in many different ways – it can just as easily make you smile, clap and sway, as it can make you cry. With the nine guys all up on stage and the entire crowd singing along, it was a beautiful thing to listen to and be a part of. I managed to capture most of it on my camera, but I wish the file size wasn’t so chunky otherwise I’d be posting it here.
I'll now finish up my gross self-indulgence by saying that if you get a chance to see these guys live, do it.
And yep, despite some strange sidelong glances, I still took notes...
There Goes God
In My Command
She Called Up
Nobody Wants To
Don’t Stop Now
Fall At Your Feet
Whispers and Moans
Pour Le Monde
Never Be The Same
Hole In The River
“The Parting Glass”
Better Be Home Soon
Italian Plastic
Silent House
She Walked Her Way Down
“Wild World”
Distant Sun
Mean To Me
------------
Locked Out
Private Universe
Something So Strong
------------
When You Come
Neil singing Liam’s “Fire In Your Belly”
Don’t Dream It’s Over
6 Comments:
"a room for big gestures" is such a lovely turn of phrase, *sigh* that neil finn still has it.
loved the review yoss, sounds like a wonderful gig!
yeah, that neil has certainly still got it ... over the years, listening to him being interviewed has really expanded my vocabulary - the man is a lexicon :-)
*sigh*
What a great write up (as always!) yoss! Sounds like you had a hectic but very exciting week. How great to see the band play in so many cities. I have to say, though i can imagine that they'd play an amazing show regardless, your write up definetely makes it a compelling prospect. Too bad the guys aren't planning on coming around canberra though when they do their shows in australia. might have to see if i can negotiate a sydney sojourn...hmmm!
Whoa! 3 great posts Yoss... No cowboy boots or hats? It would've been great to get a reminder of home with Crowded House... The 2 varying sets would've been great. Is it the first time you've heard songs from the latest album live? mmm Cheese steak... lol had to google it to find out what it was... Your arteries will be thankful you didn't have one!
serenity - yeah, you can't lose with these guys...i'm grossly biased, but i'd say treat yourself and go to sydney. and after all, augie march are supporting - now you wouldn't want to miss that now, would you?? hehehe...
jonno - yeah, it was the first time i had a chance to hear the new material live, so it was a treat to hear such a good selection over the two nights. being so far from home made it all the more special and memorable. and the cheese steak?? i also just looked it up on google - lord knows how something from philadelphia migrated its way down south...especially something like that!! might make myself one, just out of curiosity!!
I love she called up! my kids free dance to it! i'm glad they played that! it is interesting listening from one night to the next, i used to think they always played the same order and songs, but being a stalker fan of various artists i know thats not the case.
Glad you had two great nights!! i know how much you've been looking forward to it
Post a Comment
<< Home