Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Monday, November 19, 2007

All The Colours

It was pretty jarring yesterday when I was walking home from the supermarket, past the garden nursery near my place, and inhaled the strong whiff of pine - Christmas trees!! Like I do at this time every year, I began to wonder how the time has evaporated. With Thanksgiving soon upon us, it really reinforces the importance of family, food and taking time out from the headiness of work to just simply stop for a bit. And it's kind of nice to have a little breather at this crazy time of year, when most of us here at work are trying to tie up varying loose ends before the end of the year. To these alien eyes, it doesn't seem to matter who you are or what your background, everyone in America seems to embrace Thanksgiving.

One thing that's been hard to get used to is the cold at this time of year, although I'm assured that the southern cold is nothing compared to what it's like further north (am taking that Thinsulate beanie to Chicago, Elmo!). That said, I must admit that even though Atlanta challenges Melbourne in the four-seasons-in-a-day stakes, autumn (aka fall) over here is indeed very picturesque. There are colours and shades of the leaves here that I simply haven't seen back home. The snaps below were taken today on my way home from work. I've been meaning to take some pictures of these gorgeous colours for a while, ideally before the wind blows the leaves clean off!







4 Comments:

Blogger M? said...

Wow-ee! Those sure are a gorgeous colo(u)rs Yoss! Reminds me of the kinda pix Serenity Later was sending me back when she was living in Canada!

It's strange/sad because although we have many verdant blooms here, there are also some of the leaves here are also yellow although not in autumnal bliss- rather the sufferage of drought...

Hope you ahve an fantastic Thanksgiving and enjoy some long overdue/well deserved relaxation up north!

:)

2:42 PM  
Blogger bek said...

Wow! those Red Tree's are so beautiful! I've never been colder then i was in melbourne so i cant image what your experiencing!
I hope a family has adopted you for the thanksgiving break!
I am bitterly disappointed about the cd's! someone in customs is probably really enjoying them right now...grrrrrrrrr do you think they were taken cos they were burnt or just got lost in the mail? either way...i'm unhappy...lucky i put the lollies in or it would have been a very wasted package!
Happy thanksgiving

5:44 PM  
Blogger jfox said...

how gorgeous yoss! love the orange in the first pic ;D
[i wonder if the leaves could be dried for framing? ]

11:33 AM  
Blogger Serenity Later said...

Hope you had a lovely thanksgiving Yoss and that plenty of pumpkin pie was on hand...mmmm! pumpkin pie!!!!


Have you voted yet? Keep your fingers crossed that we oust that festering sore and his band of puerulent friends out of canberra once and for all.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home