Where's George?
I only have vague memories of our own Australian old-school paper money - like the wizened, crinkly two dollar notes that got superceded by tiny two dollar coins. On my first visit to the States, I remember feeling as though I was spending toy money - the novelty of the greenback was huge. One thing I've noticed is that the notes (aka bills), being paper, are more easy to write on than our own current Australian plastic notes. A little while ago, one of my workmates was given the task of collecting money for a group birthday present, and she noticed that one of the notes she'd been given had written along the edges, "Good luck to everyone who sees this note". Or something to that effect. More recently though, I came across this one dollar bill...

The Where's George? site is the real deal. And it looks as though there are many other bills out there whose paths you can track. Even though it's not a huge denomination, I've become strangely attached to this one dollar bill - it's currently hanging on my fridge door. I really should get it back in circulation and not obstruct its path any longer. After all, it's easy to track its progress through this big wide land.
The Where's George? site is the real deal. And it looks as though there are many other bills out there whose paths you can track. Even though it's not a huge denomination, I've become strangely attached to this one dollar bill - it's currently hanging on my fridge door. I really should get it back in circulation and not obstruct its path any longer. After all, it's easy to track its progress through this big wide land.
3 Comments:
I barely remember the small denomination notes too! I can just picture an over-packed wallet filled with small notes replacing the box of coins at home... How much more difficult is it having everything couloured the same? Perhaps not too helpful after a few alcoholic beverages?
jonno, you've hit the nail on the head - having all the notes coloured the same is indeed a problem. you might be under the illusion that you've got plenty of money to play with, when it's actually all just a bunch of dollar bills :-(
that said, dealing with another currency (i find this no matter what country i might be in) does sometimes give you the feeling that you're spending play money ;-)
Hey Yossarian!
That site is so cool! I feel like that too, overseas money is monopoly money and you can spend as much as you like- it's weird when you're travelling and have to decide whether to take cash, cards or cheques.
Great to hear from you- will have to get myself into action and send you a substantial post!
Be well.
Post a Comment
<< Home