Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Monday, October 20, 2008

AIDS Walk Atlanta

At last, it's October, which means that finally the weather's cooling down and front yards are being decorated with cobwebs, pumpkins and fake gravestones in preparation for Halloween. Another thing that happens in Atlanta around this time of year is the annual 5 km AIDS Walk, which aims to raise funds for the provision of better treatment, education and support for those afflicted with HIV/AIDS. Since Atlanta has the 6th highest number of AIDS cases in the U.S., with many individuals and their loved ones affected, a huge number of folks turn out to walk or volunteer on the day.

To get from the train station to Piedmont Park (where the walk starts from) is an easy walk along 10th St. And all the more pleasurable in today's glorious autumn (er, fall) weather. Piedmont Park is to Atlanta, what Boston Common is to Boston, or Central Park is to New York City. It's always popular with joggers, dogwalkers and young families. Embarrassingly, I visited Piedmont Park when I was first in Atlanta three years ago, but haven't actually been back since I've been living here. The Midtown area of Atlanta is far prettier than the concrete jungle that is Downtown, so it's a shame I don't get over there more often. Especially along 10th St, there are lots of cafes, bars, restaurants, with the odd bookstore sandwiched in between. I was lucky enough to spy a local band, StratoGeezer (named after the Stratocaster guitar maybe??), setting themselves up on a street corner. These guys are all aged upward of 50, and the last time we saw them playing at a brewery, they looked much like a bunch of dads who do this in their garage on weekends. Their sound is much like that of 60s surf music - think along the lines of the Pulp Fiction theme. So when I saw their van, I figured I had to capture it.


And I spotted this outside a local school .... in a city that's so car-centric, maybe this isn't such a bad idea ... although I wonder how many people actually take any notice.


The route of the walk itself is really pretty, taking you through the Midtown area, and later on, through some of the wealthier neighbourhoods in the city. I'm not sure of exactly how many people take part, but it seemed like there were easily a few thousand participants there today, some walking individually and many as part of a team, whether that team consisted of friends, school groups, workmates or church groups. The picture below with the Midtown buildings in the distance, includes a bunch of people in the designated "Team Land", with each placard bearing the name of where they're from.




One beautiful thing on display near the start line was the huge number of AIDS quilts, with each segment or patch of the quilt belonging to someone. Each of them is quite literally a work of art, put together by families and friends of people who have succumbed to the disease. And as you walk along, looking from one patch of quilt to another, you quickly work out that it can affect anyone, even though there are still a lot of stereotypes out there about who's seen to be most at risk. And for all the progress that's been made over the years in trying to get loose of the stigma associated with HIV/AIDS, maybe there's still a little way to go, as summed up by the guy who was a master of ceremonies, of sorts, who urged everyone to make as much noise as possible so that the (not in attendance), "mayor and other sh**ty counsellors can hear you."

3 Comments:

Blogger Jonno said...

hehehe StratoGeezers. Personalised truck and all impressive. We need more of those signs outside schools I think..

9:34 PM  
Blogger M? said...

3 years> didn't realise it's been that long!

Great photos and was really nice to hear about the event. Did you do the walk or just checked it out?

1:03 PM  
Blogger yossarian said...

jonno - yeah, the StratoGeezers. i had no idea about their mode of transport until i stumbled onto the little van. very fitting for these old dudes!

m's - yeah i know, 3 years is hard to believe...i did indeed do the walk. lucky it was a mild day and not as warm as past years, so i was told.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home