The Little Things
Decatur CD
356 W Ponce de Leon Ave
Decatur GA 30030
USA
Amongst all the pierced, tattooed and skinny-jeaned guys that seem to gravitate towards Criminal Records, I've always felt like somewhat of a dork going in there, even though the staff are always friendly and reasonably knowledgeable, and this record store generally has the stuff I'm after. At times I feel like I'm going into a pharmacy, with all the latest releases behind a glass case which you have to ask a staff member to retrieve for you. And the funny thing is that the guys behind the counter are elevated too - just like pharmacists.
A couple of weekends ago, I had made it a mission to get my mitts on the first volume of Billy Bragg & Wilco's Mermaid Avenue. Having struck out at my usual haunt, I decided to try my luck at Decatur CD. This shop is tucked away at the quieter end of one of Decatur's main streets, West Ponce Avenue. It's also located close to Commerce Square, where the evil Pastries A Go Go is located, serving up big-arse waffles and industrial strength coffee every day of the week. As you walk down the hill towards Decatur CD, you can't miss the small but bright blue building with several huge album covers adorning its side wall.


Walking in here is like walking into a toy shop. It has the same type of organised clutter that Readings used to have when it was so much smaller, and still across the road from where it is now in Lygon Street. Down the very back of the store is a small, but good selection of music DVDs, as well as some offbeat music books, ranging from biographies to pure photograph collections. Probably the most high-tech gadget in the whole store is the Apple computer, where they can look up the availability of foreign CDs for import (alas, Dilettantes and Watch Me Disappear aren't available yet - dang!). The other quirk I like about this place is that when you go the counter to make your purchase, every item is written into an exercise book like some sort of log.
When other things feel as though they're going pear-shaped, it's always a relief to know that there are places like this where you can take refuge. And yes, I did manage to find the first volume of Mermaid Avenue here too.
356 W Ponce de Leon Ave
Decatur GA 30030
USA
Amongst all the pierced, tattooed and skinny-jeaned guys that seem to gravitate towards Criminal Records, I've always felt like somewhat of a dork going in there, even though the staff are always friendly and reasonably knowledgeable, and this record store generally has the stuff I'm after. At times I feel like I'm going into a pharmacy, with all the latest releases behind a glass case which you have to ask a staff member to retrieve for you. And the funny thing is that the guys behind the counter are elevated too - just like pharmacists.
A couple of weekends ago, I had made it a mission to get my mitts on the first volume of Billy Bragg & Wilco's Mermaid Avenue. Having struck out at my usual haunt, I decided to try my luck at Decatur CD. This shop is tucked away at the quieter end of one of Decatur's main streets, West Ponce Avenue. It's also located close to Commerce Square, where the evil Pastries A Go Go is located, serving up big-arse waffles and industrial strength coffee every day of the week. As you walk down the hill towards Decatur CD, you can't miss the small but bright blue building with several huge album covers adorning its side wall.
Walking in here is like walking into a toy shop. It has the same type of organised clutter that Readings used to have when it was so much smaller, and still across the road from where it is now in Lygon Street. Down the very back of the store is a small, but good selection of music DVDs, as well as some offbeat music books, ranging from biographies to pure photograph collections. Probably the most high-tech gadget in the whole store is the Apple computer, where they can look up the availability of foreign CDs for import (alas, Dilettantes and Watch Me Disappear aren't available yet - dang!). The other quirk I like about this place is that when you go the counter to make your purchase, every item is written into an exercise book like some sort of log.
When other things feel as though they're going pear-shaped, it's always a relief to know that there are places like this where you can take refuge. And yes, I did manage to find the first volume of Mermaid Avenue here too.
3 Comments:
Nice post yossarian. I like art on the wall out front. Is that an arm chair in the last pic?
Gosh that's so cool- have you been able to get a copy of dilettantes and watch me disappear?
jonno - you know what, i was racking my brain trying to work out what it was in the picture that resembled an arm chair and only just figured it out. honestly, i'm not sure, usually i make a bee line for the front door so haven't taken any notice...so there's a nice excuse to go down there and find out for you. will report back :-)
m's - nah, still to augs or YAI. i enquired with the guy at the counter and they do have a small list of stuff they import. since these are two very recent releases, they're not on the list yet. he said to check back every now and then. failing that, amazon's lookin' good! and failing that, i'm giving my mum a call with a wishlist from JB HiFi.
Post a Comment
<< Home