Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Election Night

I've discovered that things over here in the U.S. aren't actually all that different to back home...

Yossarian: So how do people spend election night here?
Barman: Get drunk and argue with each other.



Nearly one year ago exactly, I remember going into town to the American Consulate here in Atlanta, to cast my vote in our own federal election. Even after being told by the AEC that it wasn't actually compulsary for me to do so since I was out of the country. What amazed me was how strongly I felt about the process, when so far away from home. Maybe it was all the more acute given that the dissatisfaction with our previous government mirrors the feelings of most people in the U.S. at the moment. Interestingly, over here, voting isn't compulsary but everywhere today were stacks of people wearing their little Georgia peach sticker with "I'm A Georgia Voter" written over it. With the many Obama-Biden placards neatly placed in people's front yards, it's easy to forget that outside Atlanta (regarded as a fairly modern and "progressive" city), Georgia is actually a safe Republican state, along with many of the other southern states such as Alabama (aka Armpit of America), Mississippi and Florida.

As an outsider, it's very easy to come into a country and criticise their political system, leaders, etc. Even so, you don't have to live in the States very long to see that there are some things happening in this country that really shouldn't be. Today a couple of us at work were trying to reach agreement on whether Dubya's evil or just misguided. I don't know how someone could be so misguided as to have gotten so many things so phenomenally wrong. Repeatedly. And to treat your own people with such contempt boggles my brain.

Regardless of whoever comes into power next, it's going to take more than a couple of presidential terms to undo the mess this current government has created, not only here, but abroad. As one of my workmates said during one of the presidential debates, "Who would want this job anyway???" Hopefully someone who genuinely wants the best for their people and their country - not just their wealthy buddies.

Let's hope this time the best man does win.

3 Comments:

Blogger Serenity Later said...

Word.

As much as I love Dan, I'm glad I don't have to listen to that song* today for solace & comfort given the outcome of this election. What a sweet sweet victory! I feel like my football team has won the world championship of the universe...or something like that.

* but i am happy to watch the video clip. many times over ;D

11:06 PM  
Blogger M? said...

Amen Yoss!

Hopefully someone who genuinely wants the best for their people and their country - not just their wealthy buddies.

Nice touch with the lovely DanK! :)

12:58 PM  
Blogger yossarian said...

yesiree, i don't care what the outcome of any election is as long as it gives me an excuse to ogle DanK...honestly though, i think all americans are still in party mode.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home