Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Living The Dream

You Am I
Prince of Wales
November 2, 2009

You Am I's annual Cup Eve show has become somewhat of an institution. At one stage, I think I attended three or four years in a row. After a two year absence, it was nice to be back, albeit with a growing awareness that I really am getting too old for these late night shows. It's getting harder and harder to compete for a half decent view, when you're up against taller, louder and smellier blokes. There's a good reason why folks refer to this particular brand of rawk, as Cock Rock. Thanks to the wonders of Tim Rogers - definitely on his uppers and looking much less subdued than when M's and I walked past him on the street earlier that evening - the olfactory issues of fellow punters didn't get in the way of a crack show. And it's still nice to know that upon realising who we were walking past, our jaws collectively dropped. I guess there are some things you just don't grow out of.

This was one of those shows where you realised just how huge a catalogue of material You Am I have, and how productive they've been. After all, they have been around since the early '90s, and it's staggering to think how much has gone on since then. From the raw Sound As Ever, to the smitten writer's Dress Me Slowly and Deliverance, all the way to the imploding Convicts. I remember hearing Berlin Chair for the first time, just when the band was starting to get some notoriety and airplay on national radio. Back then, I hated it.

Monday night's show ditched big, perhaps better known numbers, in favour of some older stuff that doesn't get as much of an airing during live shows. Staples like "How Much Is Enough" and "Cathy's Clown" still featured though, along with the instantly recognisable "Apple Cross Wing Commander" and "Junk". Tim was like a man possessed, straddling a fine line between praising and abusing the crowd. In short, he was at his crassest best. Some of the most enjoyable tunes were the interesting range of covers, like Magic Dirt's "Ice" (again, transporting me back to the early '90s when I so badly wished I looked liked Adalita), and Neil Young & Crazy Horse's "Come on Baby, Let's Go Downtown". But the most memorable was Tim's screeching version (can't remember whether he had ditched his shirt yet or not for this one) of "River Deep, Mountain High".

Honestly I'm not sure whether I'll brave next year's show, but for those who are up to it, don't miss out on seeing these national treasures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home