On The Periphery
It's always a buzz to see artwork exhibited, especially when you know the person that created it. In this case, I even have some vague recollections of seeing M's Persuasion Of The Periphery (below) while it was still a work in progress propped up on an easel. It featured, among the work of several other local folks, as part of the 'Window Frames' exhibition, organised by the Sydney Road Brunswick Association. Fortunately I managed to catch some of these artworks before the exhibition wound up only yesterday. You could find this particular work gracing the front window of Cocoa Nation, a seriously evil chocolate haven. Apologies for the reflections in these photos.

Unfortunately I'm still a bit sheepish about blatantly shooting photos of shopfront windows, so I rushed through taking these. Although I'm glad I stopped long enough to read the artist's blurb that accompanied the work below. It looks like a regular mosaic, but the interesting thing is that it's actually a broken plate that was originally given as a wedding present (or maybe it was an anniversary, I can't remember) but was dropped and subsequently shattered. The resulting mosaic is a nice take on not only putting it back together, but doing so in a very novel way.

I guess with a venture like this, it's good exposure for all concerned, being an opportunity for the more creative among us to have an outlet for their work without feeling as though they're under the microscope themselves. It must also be a good thing for the businesses that choose to display these pieces, in that they could generate some attention (not to mention good will) that they might not otherwise get.



Venturing further along Sydney Road, you can also find a more permanent artwork in the form of a mural along a small alley, between Albert and Brunswick Roads. The style for some reason makes me think of the cartoonish Gorillaz, and overall, it seems very much like a caricature-like representation of Sydney Road. And if there really is a fez-wearing monkey wandering around Brunswick, I hope I get to see him in real life one day.


Unfortunately I'm still a bit sheepish about blatantly shooting photos of shopfront windows, so I rushed through taking these. Although I'm glad I stopped long enough to read the artist's blurb that accompanied the work below. It looks like a regular mosaic, but the interesting thing is that it's actually a broken plate that was originally given as a wedding present (or maybe it was an anniversary, I can't remember) but was dropped and subsequently shattered. The resulting mosaic is a nice take on not only putting it back together, but doing so in a very novel way.
I guess with a venture like this, it's good exposure for all concerned, being an opportunity for the more creative among us to have an outlet for their work without feeling as though they're under the microscope themselves. It must also be a good thing for the businesses that choose to display these pieces, in that they could generate some attention (not to mention good will) that they might not otherwise get.
Venturing further along Sydney Road, you can also find a more permanent artwork in the form of a mural along a small alley, between Albert and Brunswick Roads. The style for some reason makes me think of the cartoonish Gorillaz, and overall, it seems very much like a caricature-like representation of Sydney Road. And if there really is a fez-wearing monkey wandering around Brunswick, I hope I get to see him in real life one day.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home