Aural Nostalgia
This year has been an absolute corker in terms of gigs. Along with coffee and chocolate, one of my other vices would have to be splurging on tickets to live shows. Although I might be biased, I really do think that here in Melbourne we’re severely spoilt for great acts and great venues. So, as Ms Cassiopeia suggested the other night, here are my Top 10 gigs for this year.
1. You Am I, Forum Theatre, July 7
Perfect.
2. Martha Wainwright, Forum Theatre, April 13
If it wasn’t for TV shows like The Late Show with David Letterman or RocKwiz, I might never have heard of the gorgeous Ms Wainwright. Charming, emotive and self-effacing, she lived up to all the hype that was going around about her live performances.
3. Augie March, HiFi Bar, May 13
So good to see these guys back in such fine form, and even the oppressive conditions couldn’t detract from the majesty of the music – and an absolutely ear-popping version of “Clockwork”. Another highlight of the evening was the joint effort between Augie and Dan Kelly & The Alpha Males, covering Neil Young’s “Don’t Cry No Tears”.
4. Split Enz, Rod Laver Arena, June 11
For me, seeing the band that spawned ventures such as Crowded House and The Finn Brothers, this was the ultimate in self-indulgence. As I said when I first wrote about this show, the evening belonged to Tim Finn – showing off his natural exuberance, charm, wit and flamboyance. It was beautiful to hear all the songs I’ve listened to so much, but never heard performed by the band all together.
5. Pearl Jam, Rod Laver Arena, November 13
Although I can’t lay claim to loving these guys when they were at their peak, they put on a magnificent show to open their stint in Melbourne not so long ago. What struck me was the way that the strength and energy of their early material has still endured after over a decade, as well as their generosity to give the crowd a set stuffed full of old favourites. And yeah, it has to be said that Eddie Vedder is a dish.
6. Clare Bowditch & The Feeding Set, Corner Hotel, July 8
This show was so enjoyable for many reasons. Not only were the supports (Dane Tucquet and Dan Kelly & The Alpha Males) equally as compelling to listen to as the main act, but I’ll always remember it as the gig where I finally got the point of Clare’s beautiful music and soulful singing. And of course, there was that now familiar feeling of being at an enormous family gathering.
7. The Audreys, Corner Hotel, November 23
The most fun I’ve had in ages, as much because of the great company as for the band. We got a chance to take in the rooftop bar and some delish food before the show, and also managed to score a pretty good spot towards the front. The band clearly love what they do, and are great at it.
8. Paul Kelly, Spiegeltent, December 8
It doesn’t matter if it’s been a while since I’ve last seen him play, I never fail to get totally sucked in to listening to Paul Kelly’s tales. Whether he’s singing to you in an opulent venue like the Spiegeltent, or in a rundown old shed, the story remains the same, and always sincere and heartfelt.
9. Dallas Crane, HiFi Bar, October 6
Old-fashioned rawk at its best. The kind of gig where you wake up the following morning feeling as though there’s cotton wool in your ears, and your voice is still hoarse.
10. U2, Telstra Dome, November 18
Even though the magnitude of their shows just seems to be getting bigger and more extravagant, I don’t think the enormity of the staging or venue will ever snuff out the power of tunes like “Where The Streets Have No Name”, “Sunday Bloody Sunday” or “Pride”. For this punter, it’s the prospect of hearing these classics that will keep me coming back to see this little Irish band as long as they keep visiting these shores.
For similar musings on favourite gigs of the year, check out the blogs of Cassiopeia Gegenbaueren III and jfox.
1. You Am I, Forum Theatre, July 7
Perfect.
2. Martha Wainwright, Forum Theatre, April 13
If it wasn’t for TV shows like The Late Show with David Letterman or RocKwiz, I might never have heard of the gorgeous Ms Wainwright. Charming, emotive and self-effacing, she lived up to all the hype that was going around about her live performances.
3. Augie March, HiFi Bar, May 13
So good to see these guys back in such fine form, and even the oppressive conditions couldn’t detract from the majesty of the music – and an absolutely ear-popping version of “Clockwork”. Another highlight of the evening was the joint effort between Augie and Dan Kelly & The Alpha Males, covering Neil Young’s “Don’t Cry No Tears”.
4. Split Enz, Rod Laver Arena, June 11
For me, seeing the band that spawned ventures such as Crowded House and The Finn Brothers, this was the ultimate in self-indulgence. As I said when I first wrote about this show, the evening belonged to Tim Finn – showing off his natural exuberance, charm, wit and flamboyance. It was beautiful to hear all the songs I’ve listened to so much, but never heard performed by the band all together.
5. Pearl Jam, Rod Laver Arena, November 13
Although I can’t lay claim to loving these guys when they were at their peak, they put on a magnificent show to open their stint in Melbourne not so long ago. What struck me was the way that the strength and energy of their early material has still endured after over a decade, as well as their generosity to give the crowd a set stuffed full of old favourites. And yeah, it has to be said that Eddie Vedder is a dish.
6. Clare Bowditch & The Feeding Set, Corner Hotel, July 8
This show was so enjoyable for many reasons. Not only were the supports (Dane Tucquet and Dan Kelly & The Alpha Males) equally as compelling to listen to as the main act, but I’ll always remember it as the gig where I finally got the point of Clare’s beautiful music and soulful singing. And of course, there was that now familiar feeling of being at an enormous family gathering.
7. The Audreys, Corner Hotel, November 23
The most fun I’ve had in ages, as much because of the great company as for the band. We got a chance to take in the rooftop bar and some delish food before the show, and also managed to score a pretty good spot towards the front. The band clearly love what they do, and are great at it.
8. Paul Kelly, Spiegeltent, December 8
It doesn’t matter if it’s been a while since I’ve last seen him play, I never fail to get totally sucked in to listening to Paul Kelly’s tales. Whether he’s singing to you in an opulent venue like the Spiegeltent, or in a rundown old shed, the story remains the same, and always sincere and heartfelt.
9. Dallas Crane, HiFi Bar, October 6
Old-fashioned rawk at its best. The kind of gig where you wake up the following morning feeling as though there’s cotton wool in your ears, and your voice is still hoarse.
10. U2, Telstra Dome, November 18
Even though the magnitude of their shows just seems to be getting bigger and more extravagant, I don’t think the enormity of the staging or venue will ever snuff out the power of tunes like “Where The Streets Have No Name”, “Sunday Bloody Sunday” or “Pride”. For this punter, it’s the prospect of hearing these classics that will keep me coming back to see this little Irish band as long as they keep visiting these shores.
For similar musings on favourite gigs of the year, check out the blogs of Cassiopeia Gegenbaueren III and jfox.
4 Comments:
fingers crossed i'm allowed to comment!
Very awesome blog! i've loved throughout the year reading your thoughts on various gigs. It's awesome to 'meete a like minded person who writes down their experiences too!
You've inspired me to reflect on my own year of constant gig going and may myself do a blog of this nature!!
Here's to 2007 being just as full of great music! oh but for you....lucky melbernian...another gig still to come....augie augie augie! i hope for you he sings 'There's no such place' and 'bottle baby'
Nice list yossarian! Happy to say that I saw 2 of artists from your list this year and should've been at the Martha one... (new rule- don't hesitate on tickets because they'll sell out)
thanks for the comments & good to hear that there are other like-minded people out there who read this stuff, bek! who knows, this week's augie gig might just stuff up my list?!
and jonno, i can't recommend going to see martha highly enough. it was seriously one of those shows that leaves your head in a fog for the next few days.
Nice post, unfortunately I didn't get to see You Am I this year. I really should go to more gigs, I think I only went to one this entire year which was The Strokes!
Post a Comment
<< Home