Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Growing Pains

Traditionally, I’ve always found January to be awkward. Whilst the previous year has just ended, and the new one is supposed to hold so much promise, this is generally a time when I lose my bearings, and consequently, the plot. Funnily enough, after only a few weeks of relative “idleness”, the weird dreams I was having while writing up are persisting, my sleep patterns are no more normal, and I’m already hankering for the treadmill of work to start up again. Back in high school, I used to fossick through The Age every Saturday morning, largely in pursuit of the Leunig at the back of the Saturday Extra. The ones that most appealed to me are stuck throughout my high school diaries, and some are now faded and yellowing, stuck on the wall above my desk at home. I particularly remember coming across one during Year 12, where Mr Curly has written a long letter to Vasco Pajama (or vice versa?) talking about the virtues of just sitting back and “having a rest”.

I guess the danger is that while you’re “resting” and looking around at everyone else busy “doing” things and acting their age, you fall into the quagmire that is “taking stock” – something that everyone seems to be doing around this heady New Year period anyway. Late last year, I went along to help a friend of mine house-hunt, and got an incidental crash course in the nuts and bolts of what purchasing a place entails. I had the kind of moment that someone like Demitri Martin pokes fun of so well, thinking, “Jeez, why aren’t I doing more grown-up stuff like this yet?” and “Jeez, what have I got to show for, um, anything so far?” and “Hmm, might be time to er, grow up?” I guess the other thing is the acute anxiety related to crossing over from being a student to embarking on real work. The student life is pretty charmed. You can keep irregular hours if that suits you better, you can also try the dubious “work at home” caper if your supervisor is amenable to that. As a good friend pointed out to me just last week, once you’re (really) working, you become (really) accountable and it’s assumed that you know what you’re doing. And this is made even worse when you’ve got a groaning load of expectation on your shoulders from both inner, and outside sources.

Oh well, if ever the load of expectation gets too much, and I feel like I’m being pursued by a crocodile, I’ll just bear in mind Tom Waits’s advice – to run in a zig-zag fashion.

6 Comments:

Blogger bek said...

I love this blog because its not really about anything specific but it says so much (if that makes sense) and i relate to it as if they were my own words!
I too am finding the holidays that i longed for a massive drag and am feeling stressed about the year ahead workwise.
As for the growing up part i constantly feel like that...should i be moving out, should i invest in something etc etc
Obviously because i too am feeling this way i have no insightful advice! just gratefullness that you write something so close to home and i read it as just the right time!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Applecross WC said...

This is exactly how I feel. Recently my cousin, who is my age, bought a house with his girlfriend whom he will end up marrying. It really hit home that I am not getting any younger and I don't have anything to show for it where as others have achieved so much.

You are right about being a student. I made the step from student to full time work a few years ago. Luckily my workplace is very flexible but being a student allowed so much more freedom and less accountability. Once I started working I also felt I am stuck doing this for the rest of my life with no breaks ahead. It can really be quite depressing.

Looking back I wish I was a student longer than I was, I am already getting sentimental remembering the "good old days" when I am far too young to be doing that!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Serenity Later said...

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments Yoss. I definitely belong to a certain (vint)age where traditionally i ought to have a heck of a lot more to show for my time on this planet. whether those objectives have been placed out of reach from me because of societal circumstances, personal apprehensions or just plain bad luck is difficult to gauge. as someone who constructively used her chrissie holidays to get reacquainted with her good friend youtube, perhaps the answer is more obvious than i think! Btw, did you know you can catch excerpts of solid gold on youtube????

5:41 PM  
Blogger popcorn cynic said...

I can certainly understand the motivation for becoming a 'professional' student. Living on a shoestring budget is fine when you have weeks of glorious nothing between bouts of extreme cramming. Postgrad students live in the worst of both worlds: 4 weeks leave and bugger all money. Never mind me, I'm being pessimistic today because our new postdoc has just taught me how to use an analysis program that automates most of the measurements I must make. I feel like kicking my supervisor for letting me make do with a laborious technique for 2 years. >:|

5:25 PM  
Blogger M? said...

Howdy Yoss!

Sorry this response is a tad belated-given we're into the double figures of January '07 already (yikes) but I agree with your thoughts on 'taking stock'. It's hard not to let yourself feel a bit in limbo, get down and compare yourself to others seemingly real life achievements.

Still, it helps knowing that most of us feel the same way. I guess the only thing to do is to persevere because noone else is walking your path of existence but yourself, so it's nuts to even think of comparisons.

And like that song says... nothing compares 2 u!

...then there's that other song that says what you don't have, you don't need it now!

Ah bless those positive life affirmations-something about the Irish p'raps?

Anyhoot, I'm sort of all over the place with this one but I just wanted to add lastly that '07 will be a big year for everyone....

All the best folks!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jonno said...

I can't remember how many times that snooze button's been pushed, or thoughts of coming into work in tracky dacks during early Jan. You're spot on with taking stock -I just did that last week.

I've put off house-hunting as it seemed like an awful amount of paperwork for a loan that I could do without. Oh and also I'm waiting to win lotto instead.

January is half gone and in no time we'll all be wondering where the year went...

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home