Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Live To Rock: Part II

I’m ashamed to admit it, but I had my doubts that Dallas Crane could make much of an impression following Airbourne. I guess the only criticism I’d have about last night’s show is that the support was so good, it could understandably leave you a little bit drained in the lead-up to the main attraction, especially at such a late hour. Having said that, I think it’s also a sign that I’m getting a bit long in the tooth for these smoky pub shows. No matter, because as soon as Dallas’s drummer, Shan Vanderwert took his seat at the back of the stage, Airbourne became temporarily erased from memory and the crowd were emphatically reminded of who the main act was.

The band kicked off with “Lovers and Sinners,” with a thumping intro by Vanderwert on drums as the other guys walked onstage. The set was stuffed with crowd favourites like “Dirty Hearts”, “Lady Bird” and “Can’t Work You Out”. The great thing about Dallas is that you don’t have to have seen them before, and might not know a single word to any of their songs, but it won’t prevent you from dancing around (even if you’re an un-co, like me), so infectious is their music and so tight are they as a band. “Wannabe”, with Dave Larkin and Pete Satchell sharing the singing was great, with Dave undoubtedly the kingpin of the band, but also clearly appreciative of the guys playing with him, as well as the adoring crowd.


Generous with the spotlight, somewhere towards the end of the main set, the band were joined by Tex Perkins for one number, and whatever it was called, it was a corker. I’ve never seen Tex in the flesh before and like Dave, he’s also an enormous presence, but monopolises the stage in an almost menacing way. I guess it must be because of the way he uses the microphone stand as a prop and because he’s such a big guy. As quickly as he sprang up though, he was gone.

Other favourites for the evening were the matter-of-fact “Two Can Play At This Game”, “Curiosity” and the grinding “Sit On My Knee”, with the whole crowd singing along. Even though I’m still a bit hoarse today, and am yelling at everyone because my ears still aren’t fully functional yet, it was another really, really enjoyable night of old school rawk at its throbbing best. As Mike wisely observed yesterday, it’s hard to imagine these guys ever disappointing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home