Vernoona

Blowing the normality gasket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Kitchen Stories

I’m the first to admit that I’m an absolutely useless cook. Cooking for me is like my Organic Chemistry pracs in second year uni – I enjoyed them, but when it came to synthesising those weird and wonderful compounds, no matter how prepared I was before the prac, and no matter how religiously I followed the directions, I’d always get a 3% yield, while everyone else around me got a much more impressive 90% (or better). Over the last few weeks, I’ve been getting to know the kitchen a whole lot better, with the help of my mum and grandpa. I’ve also started collecting the “Weekend Cook” section of the Good Weekend magazine – very nifty for a lazy cook who’s seeking a one-pot dish that will still taste good, with the added bonus of minimal effort. With the weather once again warming up, this afternoon I (with my mum keeping a beady eye over my shoulder) tackled this banana and brown sugar ice-cream recipe that I found a few weeks ago. It’s in the process of freezing as I write this, so I guess we’ll be sampling it this evening …

500 g ripe bananas
4 eggs, separated
2 tsp lemon juice
100 g (~2/3 cup) brown sugar
300 g sour cream, whisked smooth
100 g (~4 tbsp) glucose syrup aka corn syrup
pinch of salt

1. Whiz up the bananas (peeled and cut into thirds), egg yolks, lemon juice and brown sugar in a food processor, until smooth.
2. In a large bowl, stir the above mixture into the sour cream and mix until silky.
3. Combine egg whites with the glucose syrup and salt until the mixture firms up and soft peaks start to form. The best way to mix this is with a handheld electric mixer rather than a whisk, otherwise it will take ages.
4. Gently fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the banana mixture until nearly combined, then add the remainder until the consistency is even.
5. Put this into an ice-cream container and freeze for at least 4 hours.

Vive le banane!

6 Comments:

Blogger bek said...

This blog made me smile :0 ) I dont really consider myself a cook, more of a baker! there are few things i enjoy more then finding a cake recipe or getting my cookie cutters ready...it is also of course all under the watchful eye of my female parental, who is never satisfied with my cleaning efforts post baking!
This recipe sounds yummo! was it a hit amongst the troops?? whenever i cook i sit and wait for the family to heap me with praise and words of wonder...yet when mum whips up something fabulous we just all expect it!!!

8:51 PM  
Blogger yossarian said...

hehehe ... i'm a neat-/clean-freak so cleaning for me is usually ok (but then again, i'm pretty messy). i'm yet to attempt any form of cake or other confectionary making - this ice-cream is the first sweet treat i've attempted.

dare i say it, it turned out pretty well - although i'd suggest freezing it overnight since it was still a little soft in the centre after 5 hours. if you're like me and love bananas, you'll love this. you could probably substitute the 'nanas with other fruit too, i guess?

11:05 PM  
Blogger M? said...

Hey Yoss-that sounds delish, perfect for this weather! heheh... would love to sample some of the ice cream and will definitely have a go at making it too soon! Might've misse dit but- do you need an ice cream machine/maker to make it?

Hope you're well and thanks again for organising Saturday! Great write up too.

10:48 AM  
Blogger yossarian said...

m's - nope, you don't need an ice-cream maker to do this ... just a couple of very large bowls!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jonno said...

I'm more of an eater than a cook... It's good that you've chosen a banana recipe now when they're affordable. I should check out the GW for those recipes. I think I fit the lazy cook wanting minimal effort...

6:52 PM  
Blogger popcorn cynic said...

I laughed when I read the 3% yield comment. Sounds like me!
The banana icecream would be really yum. My nan used to make icecream with jelly crystals, delicious and easy to make.
If I slay any pineapples I'll send them along for your cooking pleasure. :p

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home